Sign in to follow this  
gpbarth

Controllers, PMDG and FSUIPC

This may have been asked previously, but I couldn't find it. I came to this forum because PMDG is the "source" of the dilemma. I am running Win 7/64. I am running FSX/SE. I am running the latest paid-for version of FSUIPC.  And I am running the PMDG 737NGX and 777. Now don't beat me too badly, or blame Pete Dowson too harshly for what I am about to say, but although I have been told NOT to use FSUIPC for mapping controllers for tthe PMDG fleet, others have told me that they do so all the time with no problems. And it seems like I have been able (I think) to do so, so far. I would rather do things the way PMDG suggests, so if I have a problem, the first thing I WON'T hear is, "Well, you're not doing it the way we told you to."  But Pete  says that there should be no conflicts because assigning controls in FSUIPC through FSX is not doing it any differently than through FSX itself. Pete also says that it should be only one of two ways - FSX controls or FSUIPC controls...if FSUIPC is used, the FSX controllers should be shut off, or there will be conflicts between the two.

Well, I digress. I'm getting ready to purchase the Flight1 Beech King Air, and as usual, I've been watching several videos on the plane. Froogle has an excellent series on it, and in the very first one, he states that the throttles, "like the PMDG models", are supposed to be set up using FSX and not FSUIPC. And so his throttles are set up in FSX and the rest of his controls are set up using FSUIPC. Now this goes totally against what Pete says (see above), and so I am up here asking the veterans for input. How does one use both, if doing so can cause conflicts? I've been using Pete's stuff so far with no problems, but I'm now wondering how you can set up the throttles in FSX (which would mean turning on the controllers in FSX), and then set up the other controls in FSUIPC.

To those who do use FSUIPC (and I would think that most of you do), you know why. It's so nice to be able to set up your controllers differently for every aircraft, something that you simply cannot do in FSX. I love FSUIPC and would never think of NOT using it, but I love the PMDG aircraft that I have, and want to do it the way it was designed to work. And now with the King Air, the issue has resurfaced.

Input, anyone?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you want to set up throttles in FSX you obviously do not select "disable joystick", and you set up the throttles how you want them in FSX. Now if you want to use FSUIPC to assign and calibrate the ailerons, you must first go to FSX controller settings and delete the settings for ailerons. Then assign and calibrate those in FSUIPC. Simples.

The key thing here is any one axis should be ASSIGNED in only one system, FSX or FSUIPC, never both.

It is also possible for some controls to be assigned in FSX and actually calibrated in FSUIPC. This is NOT the same as assigning in FSUIPC, there is a big difference.

But Pete  says that there should be no conflicts because assigning controls in FSUIPC through FSX is not doing it any differently than through FSX itself.

Are you sure he was talking about assigning controls ? I think he is talking about calibration.