Sign in to follow this  
Sambo71

Questions About Running the GTX 980 Ti G1 6GB & FSX?

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help out a confused old flight sim guy?

I'm currently running a "Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 1150MHZ 2GB" I just bought two BenQ 27" monitors to run along side my 42" Sharp Aquos for side views in the doors of my fully enclosed Cessna flight simulator.

I hooked up everything and set everything to run the three monitors and everything ran pretty good, but felt it was time to upgrade my video card.

I just ordered a new Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 1241 MHZ 6GB thinking that the extra 4GB might help run things a little smoother, now I know that FSX is CPU dependant but will the bigger faster card help to run the two extra monitors better? 

I read somewhere that people had problems running the GeForce GTX980 Ti G1 1241 MHZ 6GB on FSX, is this true?

For those using the GTX980 Ti, what driver version have you found runs best with FSX?

I hope I didn't make a mistake, can anyone running the GTX980 Ti with FSX tell me if they had any problems swapping their old card out and replacing it with the GTX980?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

My system specs:

Windows 7 64Bit

Sabertooth Z87

Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core OC @ 4.2GHZ

Geforce GTX 760 OC 1150MHZ 2 GB

Crucial M500 SSD 240GB HD

Skill Sniper 16GB DDR-1866

"Speed is Life, Altitude is Insurance"

sigpic607877_4.gif

Hey Sam - Long time! Hope all is well.

The 980TI should do well for you. You're probably not going to see any really noticeable performance improvement in FSX itself but you are correct in that the TI will handle the monitor load better. As usual. you'll probably have to readjust your settings to get the best balance for the new hardware.

If you have a decent PSU all should install well. I am running P3D with twin 970's and I use the current 359.00 drivers with no issues.

Have fun!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the info, it has been a long time!

Since building my simulator, I've enjoyed every minute spent inside what my better half calls "Your Box in the Garage in Sammy's World of Make Believe "

After all your help setting up all my software and the Nickn system, my simulator experience has been outstanding! so much so that my neighbour across the street tried it and 2 months later we built him an exact replica! which we fly together online all the time!

Anyway enough jibber jabber, my PSU is  "CX Series CX750M 750W ATX 12V 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply"

750w should run it I hope!

I saw this post about the GTX980 Ti not working because of it not supporting DX9 or something about shader handling:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2668215/gtx-980-fsx-work.html

I hope this is not the case and I can install it without too much head scratching???

Like I said before, the purpose of the upgrade is to help support the two new monitors more than anything else, my FSX on the single monitor runs awesome but with the two new monitors, it did slow just a tiny bit....which I hope will clear up with the new GTX980 Ti!

Thanks again Vic!

Sam

sigpic607877_4.gif

That post sounds nonsense to me Sam. There are plenty of 980Ti users here on Avsim, running the sim with no issues.

I haven't nailed my system together yet, it's in boxes in my bedroom, but one of the components is the EVGA 980Ti Classified, and I have no doubt it will do the job superbly.

If you read the last post in that thread, it appears the guy had an issue with FSX, not the graphics card.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your info, I have always had a clean system, that is totally dedicated to FSX and not used for nothing else.

There's so many things that can effect FSX, I'm really careful about what I install and all the adjustments I make to the CFG file ( Follow Nickn's FSX Bible/NI setup to every setting) logging everything I install or change by writing it down in a binder.

So far so good, didn't want to go messing up two years worth of work installing the new card, it's always been a dream of mine to add the two additional monitors, one in each door with my 42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV as my main viewing windscreen.

Still waiting for the GTX980 Ti to arrive, I tried the two monitors yesterday as a test on the GTX760 and everything worked great! after hooking it up and doing a test flight I was just about doing back flips in my garage I was so excited!

Can't wait to see how it looks with the new GTX980!

Thanks again,

Sam

Pictures of my setup:

http://www.vanisleva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68329&sid=9b0bba8ebaeb8b15307d6cf340db3f74

sigpic607877_4.gif

Hi

Imade the changefrom a 780 to the gtx980 around 1month ago

Difference for me was superb, better colours and fps especially in xplane.

I run

fsx

Fsx steam

Prepar3dv3

Xplane

I did a new reinstall for all flight sims as I felt after a few years it would clean them up, but dont think it is a must.

My frame rates are around 60 plus for all sims with reasonable settings

Gtx980ti

I7 4.7

Win7 64bit

All the best mike

Ps I used 3 screens with triplehead2go

I now use projector

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, I'm starting to feel better about my decision and purchase!

What driver version are you running Mike?

This place is great for all the help a person can find!

Thanks again,

Sam

sigpic607877_4.gif

Hi Guys,

Just a little update, my new Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti arrived here a few days ago and I finally found some time to get it installed today.

Installation went in without any problems, did the fresh driver (359.06) install and reset all my NVidia Inspector settings for FSX.

Everything is working awesome, I moved my setting up a bunch, ran FSX with Active Sky Next in a big black storm and still getting a solid 30 fps!

Temperatures for the card hover around high 20's to mid to high 30's wow! it runs nice and cold!

Very happy with the new card!

Thanks to Vic and all the rest of you guys who helped me along here with your info and feedback to help me make the decision to purchase this card!

All the best,

Sam

sigpic607877_4.gif