Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Does anyone make use of the Samsung Magician SSD software?

Hi all,

Just had a quick question - I have two Samsung SSD 840 EVOs. One for my OS and one for my FSX install. The SSD comes with the Samsung Magician software that offers a range of features. I was just wondering if anyone took advantage of these features to optimize their SSDs? I'm looking at the Perfomance Optimization, OS Optimization, Over Provisioning, and RAPID mode features. I wouldn't be totally honest if I said I knew what all those features did. Just wanted to see what other flight-simmers/PC users have done.

Also, on a related-note: every time I boot my PC and log in, I get a message basically saying Samsung Magician needs Admin rights in order to run and I should relaunch the application with admin rights. For security, I run as a standard user and have a separate Administrator profile when needed. Is there any way to keep Samsung Magician from running on startup? I've read from numerous places that it is not required to startup with Windows, however, it is not listed in the msconfig.exe Startup tab?

Thank you for your help. As always, it is greatly appreciated!

I have P3d installed exclusively on mine, its set in Rapid mode, Over Provisioning is also set, the os optimization features i do not use, i regularly use the performance optimization(trim), maybe weekly, there must be some glitch with you Magician software, mine just starts up with W7.. try a reinstall with the latest version.

tpewpb-6.png

I have P3d installed exclusively on mine, its set in Rapid mode, Over Provisioning is also set, the os optimization features i do not use, i regularly use the performance optimization(trim), maybe weekly, there must be some glitch with you Magician software, mine just starts up with W7.. try a reinstall with the latest version.

Thanks for the reply rick66. I've been doing some reading on the different features offered within Samsung Magician. I had a few follow up questions (for you or anyone else who may weigh in):

1. Can I run over-provisioning on my drives with my OS and data already installed?

2. I have two Samsung SSD's but it appears I can only use RAPID mode on one. Should I use RAPID mode for my OS SSD or my FSX SSD?

For the startup question - do you run as Administrator user or as a Standard user>

Hello Dave.  I have an eve 840.   I use the Magician software to update the SSD to the latest Firmware Software, i would think that this is important.  (maybe im wrong) 

For the startup question - do you run as Administrator user or as a Standard user>

Regarding running your evo 840 as Administrator,  i dont see why not.  I have never got that question though from my computer.  

I run everything as Administrator.  I run my PC and all my programs and Ad On's as Administrator.  Dave to be honest,  if i could run my clock as Administrator i would  :smile:

Thanks for the reply rick66. I've been doing some reading on the different features offered within Samsung Magician. I had a few follow up questions (for you or anyone else who may weigh in):

1. Can I run over-provisioning on my drives with my OS and data already installed?

2. I have two Samsung SSD's but it appears I can only use RAPID mode on one. Should I use RAPID mode for my OS SSD or my FSX SSD?

Answer for 1).. Yes its a Must have.. it will increase the life span of your SSD and its safe to run even when drives are in use.

Answer for 2).. You can only Rapid Mode 1 SSD at a time i`m afraid, its entirely your preference which SSD you use Rapid mode on, i have mine for P3d, try it out on each drive first and see what FSX is like, its just a matter of doing a reboot when you switch drives.

As for startup i have not touched the Admin settings but it will not hurt to enable it. make sure you have the latest firmware and software, click the magician info tab lower right corner for your version of software, mine shows  4.9 and firmware is EXT0DB6Q...

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

tpewpb-6.png

This thread really saved me.

About a year ago, I bought an EVO SSD. The drive was imaged (3rd party software) from my old mechanical HDD. All was well until just recently. I'd reboot, but the OS would not load. Hard reset, then ok. Eventually, the desktop then boot loader stopped responding. I was stuck at BIOS with no error, no BSOD, just a blank display. Started looking at replacing the machine. Chkdsk /f would fix it one time. Next reboot ...nothing.

After reading this post, I thought; why not? Installed Samsung Magician in safe mode, updated SSD firmware, went into BIOS and switched from RAID0 (useless anyway) to AHCI, turned on EFI and did an optimization.

So far, that has worked! My system is back and Magician also reported my SATA speed increased. I can now shut-down and restart too. Still can't over-provision. Maybe because of the Alienware restore (hidden) partition?

Long story short, Thanks for getting me back in the clouds!

• Upvote 1

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck