Sign in to follow this  
Bimmerpilot

Mu-2 quirks

Hello all!

I've had the MU-2 for a couple of weeks and have been busy tuning it to my preferences.  There are a few things that I'm having difficulty with.  

1. Has anyone found a way to disable the really annoying rotating beacon sound?  I've checked the sound folder and the sound .cfg file and I can find no reference to it. It's my only real squawk so far. The odd thing is that it continues to play even when FSX is paused (Is it taking a sound .wav from within Windows?).

2. What is the procedure for activating the GPU (Ground Power Unit)? I do have update 2.0 installed. From "Cold & Dark" when I go into Views->Instrument->Aircraft Options and click on the GPU nothing happens.

3. I want to add a few gauges to the VC panel.  I have FS Panel Studio though I can't find the appropriate window to install and position add-on gauges.

Thanks in advance!

2. Use shift-1 or 2 and select the GPU from their, I think that is all you have to do. I just bought the aircraft myself so still figuring things out.

Cheers

Martin

I re-installed the MU-2 and the GPU is now functioning.

The rotating beacon sound is driving me nuts! With all volume control sliders in FSX set to 50% the rotating beacon is still audible. Others have brought this up and have been told that it's "realistic".  As a rw pilot with time in everything from a C152 to a B200 I can assure you that once the engine/s are started you would not hear anything but the engine/s. If you were wearing a David Clark headset and you heard a constant "whir-whir" sound it would signify a short in the electrical system.

Flysimware did a pretty good job with their MU-2. Most of us Moo2 fans have been waiting for the Milviz release (and I quit holding my breath about 2-years ago). Those of us that have XP10 have the X-Aviation's Mu-2.  

I bought my FSW Mu-2 on-sale for $18 at PCAviator. Had I paid close to $50.00 for it as many of you original (Ver. 1.4) owners I would be sorely disappointed.

All I want for Christmas is a mod that gets rid of the rotating beacon sound.

SC

That's great news  - I also find the beacon sound unrealistic when the aircraft is alive.. 

Could you detail the edit/changes you made ?

That's great news  - I also find the beacon sound unrealistic when the aircraft is alive.. 

Could you detail the edit/changes you made ?

sorry that it took so long to respond.

I eliminated mine by editing a file in the MU-2 sound config file.  Though I may have found a easier way.

In your FSX Sound Folder there should be a folder titled "MT", open the folder and scroll to the "SND63" .wav file file.  If you replace it with a silent .wav file that should eliminate the beacon sound. silent .wav's can be found on the net for free. Back-up your original SND63 .wav just in case.

let me know if it works or you need more assistance.

Cheers,

Chad

Hello Chad,

thanks very much for identifying the 'rogue' file -  rather than deleting it, I edited the file (with the free 'Audacity' programme - changed the output level and exported a new 'quiet' version- now I can just hear the beacon with engines off, otherwise not at all.

Now the only (well major)  remaining annoyance is lack of audible landing sounds - IE  tire sounds at touchdown and rumble afterwards.

Cheers,

Ray