Sign in to follow this  
ADamiani

Could P3D3.1 hiccups be related to this StackHash error?

I am generally happy with P3D3.1 performance-wise; my rig is a 2600K oc to 4.5GHz, 16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, GTX980TI STRIX, Win7pro on its 250 GB SSD and P3D3 on its own 500 GB SSD.

It runs quite smooth with all GPU related sliders pretty much to the right and some acceptable compromises with CPU related ones.

Only problem: the occasional stutter; well, more than that: the sim actually stops dead for half a second, sometimes longer, then it resumes. It happens about once in to o three minutes in slow flight, more often during fast flight (default F35)

Addons: ASNext, FTX Global (flying over Italy with no addon airport at all)

I tried to monitor resources and found out that invariably, before the hiccup happens, it is loading something, then HD activity stops dead and then it resumes. In practice, I see two peaks with a valley in the middle for the duration of the pause.

Also, sometimes, during this time interval, CPU usage goes from the usual 30% - 40% very close to 0 and then back.

Looks like something serious is happening during the pause.

Then today I got a hint: a crash of P3D3 (it NEVER crashed before, it is quite stable), complaining about a fault in module StackHash_4baf (details included further down). 

I investigated the thing and found out that it is related to data execution protection; tried to turn DEP off for P3D3 but I couldn't: it says that P3D3 needs it enabled.

So my conclusion is that maybe there is actually something going on there, and that all hiccups might be related to the same problem, with the system trying to recover some piece of data and stopping dead waiting; the one time it got really bad the sim acted up.

Now, if only someone more expert could help me with this .... 

Thanks

Andrea

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Prepar3D.exe
  Application Version: 3.1.2.15831
  Application Timestamp: 5672b60a
  Fault Module Name: StackHash_4baf
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18798
  Fault Module Timestamp: 5507b3e0
  Exception Code: c0000374
  Exception Offset: 000cea0b
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1040
  Additional Information 1: 4baf
  Additional Information 2: 4bafdb9123bce5309c09630570acc5a2
  Additional Information 3: 2cd7
  Additional Information 4: 2cd75ee6ac94e3578f1648244e761c7b

Hi Andrea,

I don't pretend to know the solution to your issue, but you might like to read through this thread (assuming you have not already done so). It's just possible some ideas might materialise. For example, checking out the integrity of your installed RAM in case a fault is revealed.

http://tdistler.com/2009/04/10/stackhash-and-application-crashes-on-windows

Good luck!

Regards,

Mike

• Upvote 1