Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

SuperFlightPlaner - Extract Navaids

I've been using SuperFlightPlanner 3.0.3 to extract all of the navigation aids in FS2004 for many years. Has anyone seen any other way(s) to get an extract of the same information. The reason that I'm asking is that the ETL processing for the SFP extract is not trival, and I'd like it a bit more automated if possible.

So if anyone knows of another way then please advise and thanks!

Mark

What are you trying to do with the data? I did all this once (using SFP+ETL) and put it into .sql. I think I still have it on a backup disk but I may have to dig around a bit, would that be of use to you?

I did this with it (well I never finished it, but... Leave it in "Airports" and most of it works, lol):

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/fsacars/search_db.php

Alternately isn't there a Pete Dowson utility, make runways or something that can extract this data?

What are you trying to do with the data? I did all this once (using SFP+ETL) and put it into .sql. I think I still have it on a backup disk but I may have to dig around a bit, would that be of use to you?

I did this with it (well I never finished it, but... Leave it in "Airports" and most of it works, lol):

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/fsacars/search_db.php

Alternately isn't there a Pete Dowson utility, make runways or something that can extract this data?

Pete's utility is MakeRwys.exe and it works like a charm. It creates 14 extracts, one of which is named Runways.xml, and it contains both Airport and Runway information. The facilities generated from the extracts are fairly complete, every once in a while I find a ILS ident missing or something minor, but a joining table replaces missing info in my database.

MakeRwys.exe does provide runway heading information, which is not supplied by the stock GPS. So it fills a huge gap and saves a bunch of typing of my part. But Pete's great utility doesn't produce Navaids which are external to airport facilities. So I use SuperFlightPlanner to get at the navaids and toss them into a SQL database.

I have a method of extracting runway headings and navaids from a database, and on the fly (if you would), making for simple flight ops. I'd simply love to reduce the ETL component-slash-coding overhead and pave the way to an easier process architecure. My object model supports runinng out of process applications but SFP was never designed to signal properly as it did not have insight into a more advanced environment.

The short of it is a manual step, which I don't like, as it leads to programmer error. Always looking for new ways (if there are any!).

Mark