Sign in to follow this  
spilok

I have eliminated Crash to Taskbar!

For as long as I've had Windows 10 and perhaps before with Windows 7, I could always count on at least one (1) CRASH TO TASKBAR per flight.  I could recover by clicking rapidly on the icon that minimized in the taskbar, then hit P for unpause the flight and go on.  I could never figure out why this happened.  I tweaked the config so much, and re-built the config so much that I was totally frustrated with the inability to correct the annoying problem.

Well, I've fixed it!  I've tested it now over 8 flights since the fix, and there are no more crashes to taskbar.  It may actually help other crashes ....I don't know since the only other one I've ever had was the infamous "Flight Simulator has stopped working" one.  And incidentally, I've not had any of those since I made the change I describe here.

What did I do?   Simple...I changed my Anti virus program.  I had been using Nod32  successfully for years, but after reading the link provided by a forum member in the recent discussion on Anti-virus programs (which I started) on this forum, I uninstalled Nod32 by ESET (only had til March on my subscription anyway), and I installed AVIRA Pro  (not the free version).  AVIRA is the LEAST invasive on the processor according to the report in the link below, and I believe that it has allowed my FSX to run smoother, and it has definitely eliminated every crash to taskbar that I have been having.  I know this is the solution, beause I did not uninstall or install anything else since this change.

http://www.av-compar...r_201510_en.pdf.

That link above was what convinced me that the "processor dependent" FSX was being compromised by my old AV program. 

Stan

Thank you for that link VORTEX 681, fellow flyer.  It has made life with FSX much better.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Another thought, if you don't want to go through the hassle of changing AV programs is to check in the AV settings

for the option of "Silent Mode".  You can usually set it for several hours so that the AV will not update or scan the

computer while flying.  It is in Protection Mode only.