Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

HELP! Tweak the BGL File for KPIT

Folks, I need a favor from a saavy BGL editor-

As far as I know, I cannot edit BGL files because Steam does not include the compiler. The favor I ask is for someone to take the AVSIM file library KPIT FSX (kpit_ade_rs_fsx.zip) and fix the runway usages.

As this file sits, it appears that 10L / C / R are setup as the primary runways, and 28 L C R are the secondary. In reality, 28 L / C / R are the primary runways. They are used and preferred unless the tailwind goes over 5 knots I believe.

Also, 10 / 28 C is only used for takeoffs when demand is high... never landings.

Also, 32 is only used for landings when necessary, and 14 is only used for takeoffs when necessary.

The default FSX has 32 available for landings AND takeoffs. Since there is no taxiway out to the end of 32, planes taxi up the runway - it really jams up the airport.

Pittsburgh is my "home" airport. This is for sentimental reasons (I grew up under the approach for 28L) as is the case most of the time.

Please help!
Thanks!

Have you tried the updated version for KPIT?  pittsburgh_kpit_fsx.zip

At Flightsim.com

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Yes, that is the same as the one here. I did download it and was able to open it in ADE. In there you can see that the 10's are listed as primary, and all the runways are used for takeoffs and landings.

At least this is what I THOUGHT I saw. I'm by no means an expert at that program. I downloaded it and fiddled with it for about an hour before I realized I couldn't re-save the airport (couldn't compile it).

Can someone open it and verify that is what I saw? I think its a quick fix, I just can't do it on steam.

As far as I know, I cannot edit BGL files because Steam does not include the compiler.

You can download the free SDK 1.4 from Lockheed Martin.

Here on the bottom of the page : http://www.prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

Working fine with ADEX

Jan

Thank you, I'll have to look into it when I get home.

Is this a loophole of some sort? Scruffyduck explicitly stated that for Steam the compiler (or is id decompiler?) wasn't included and its not available for download.

Again, not very saavy with scenery, and I don't plan on getting into it once I make the fix at Pittsburgh.

Update: there is some talk on the Scruffyduck comments that someone did exactly what you suggested and it worked. They were complaining that FXS was ripping us off by not including it and it should have been included free.

Reading around in here, my next question is about light / variable winds

How does FXS pick a runway if the winds are light and variable? What is that threshold between light and variable and can it be changed?

For example, today in real life in KPIT planes are landing on the 27's. The wind is light and variable.

In FSX I think it puts you on the 10's under light and variable winds. Can I force it to always choose the 27's under light and variable winds? And can I pick the value where it will trip over to the 10's?

The background: I lived under 27L for 18 years, and I get a kick out of flying that approach. Therefore I want to stack the table to come in on the 27's unless wind is pretty stiff coming out of the east. The underlying reason being I think is that the area is more urban east of the airport (Towards Pittsburgh) and rural west of the airport. Therefore KPIT prefers takeoffs to head west where there's a whole lot of open land.

I have not used AI in a long time, but FS9 and I think FSX sets the closest runways to due north as the default runways when winds are light. I don't remember whether you can close only one end of a runway or not, and crossing runways are a mess you have to add fake runways just to get the right ones to be open at the same time. You will never get them fully the way they are in reality.