Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

NVIDIA GPU and still trying to run SMOOTH? Consider G-Sync

Hi,

Perhaps understandably, very little attention is being given here to the use of G-Sync enabled monitors as most of you will have already invested in decent monitor/s that may or may not need the use of VSync, triple buffering and frame rate limiting to achieve that smooth experience while running Prepar3D. Much anxiety and, indeed, apparent frustration is evident amongst those of you who are struggling to achieve this goal, yet you could make this all go away if you would just bring yourselves to bite the bullet and make the change.

If you are looking for a larger screen (>27") then the market is still a bit restricted, although does seem to be improving: http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-monitors-buyers-guide-january-2016/

Someone mentioned in another thread feeling uncertain as to whether G-Sync was working or not while flying Prepar3D. Believe me, you would know! I have the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q and there is a small linear light under the bottom right edge of the monitor. If it is lit red then G-Sync is enabled. Other G-Sync capable monitors may offer a similar facility.

G-Sync is enabled/disabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel (NCP). Some titles appear to be able to do this on the fly - I disable G-Sync when running Skyrim and G-Sync is re-enabled on exit. This may be just a fluke, however. Still it's nice not to have to spend time going back into NCP.

Here are my NCP settings used for Prepar3D v3.1:

Global Settings:

Ambient Occlusion: Off

Anisotropic filtering: Application-controlled

Antialiasing - FXAA: Off

Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On

Antialiasing - Mode: Application-controlled

Antialiasing - Setting: Application-controlled (entry greyed out)

Antialiasing - Transparency: Off

CUDA - GPUs: All

Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting

Monitor Technology: G-SYNC

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode

Power management mode: Adaptive

Preferred refresh rate (Ancor Communications Inc ROG PG278Q): Highest available

SLI rendering mode: NVIDIA recommended

Shader Cache: On

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimisation: Off

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow

Texture filtering - Quality: Quality

Texture filtering - Trilinear Optimisation: On

Threaded optimisation: Auto

Triple buffering: Off

Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting

Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting

Prepar3D:

Antialiasing - Mode: Enhance the application setting

Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting

Monitor Technology: Use global setting (G-Sync)

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

Preferred refresh rate (Ancor Communications Inc ROG PG278Q): Highest available

SLI rendering mode: NVIDIA recommended (SLI)

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp

Texture filtering - Quality: High quality

Triple buffering: Use global setting (Off)

Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting

Vertical Sync and Triple buffering are unchecked in Prepar3D

Frame rate = Unlimited

Note: I do use NVIDIA Inspector to implement 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling matched with MSAA x4 in Prepar3D. FXAA is OFF. However, I am fortunate in having built a beefy system which copes well under most conditions with this additional demand. That's with the popular ORBX Addons, etc. and, yes, that includes PMDG :)

Hope this helps any who can maintain frame rates at or higher than 30fps and decide to take the plunge - you won't regret it!

Mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

+1

I have the newer PG279Q (IPS panel) and it is great. As long as you can keep above 30 FPS, it's as smooth as butter.

Hi,

Forgot to mention that G-Sync should be enabled in NCP for Full Screen AND Windowed Mode otherwise you won't see it working in Prepar3D. Prepar3D runs in a customised Window which has been modified by Lockheed Martin, a pseudo full-screen, if you like.

Also, you will need to be using a NVIDIA GTX 650Ti GPU or later. As ever, maintaining frame rates at or higher than 30 for a given set of in-sim settings and preferred Addons, if any, will determine your choice of best GPU for the job.

Here's a bit more about G-Sync technology as opposed to using the older VSync solution:

http://hothardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-swift-pg279q-g-sync-gaming-monitor-ips-at-165hz?page=3

By way of comparison, I am including another link which relates to the earlier (TN Panel) model, the ROG Swift PG 278Q:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

Jump to the G-Sync section under 'Gaming Introduction'. As you can see from my signature this is my current monitor and I couldn't be more pleased with it. As a 'gaming' monitor it is perfect for my needs and is, by far, the best performing monitor I have owned. Over the years I have used many and this eclipses all that came before. However, it should be said that if your intention is to broaden its uses into the sphere of image manipulation where colour accuracy is paramount you might wish to look elsewhere, at least that's what the experts are saying. The IPS panel of the ROG Swift PG279Q is likely to be better in this regard.

Mike

I am using Titan X Pascal for my development works and it's one of the most strongest and powerful GPUs ever made. The entire GPU proccess a lot quicker.