Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD?

Hi,

In advance: sorry for bringing up this question, but I have to...

Over the years I have read a lot of articles relating TML.

In fact so many that by now I'm a 'bit' confused.

I always thought that TML 1024 (in any sim) would prevent (or at least was favourable) for OOM errors because it reduces VAS usage.

Reading (again) about TML recently, I read that with P3D (or better: DirectX 11) it has no influence on VAS, since video memory is used and not RAM anymore.

So here are my questions:

1. Is it true that VAS usage is not affected by the TML setting?
  2. I have a GTX980 ti with 6GB memory. Is it OK so set TML to 2048? (or even 4096?)
  3. Has a higher TML setting influence on performance
    I have an i7 6700K and locked framerates a 30.

Show me the money  :smile:

P.S. Currently I'm running V2.5. Didn't had the time (and motivation) to install V3.1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would set TML to at least 2048 (which is HD).  Setting it higher to 4096 will take up more resources and really not that much difference in graphics. It all depends on your other P3D settings and, if you have REX be very careful with those resolution settings too.  Your system should be able to handle 4096 but not with every slider to the right. 

I do not see how TML cannot affect VAS usage.  It's asking your system for a higher resolution graphics.  But each version of P3D handles VAS usage better.  One thing you can try is to turn on FSUIPC VAS logging and run two separate flights, one with 2048 and one with 4096 and it should provide you very accurate benchmarks on whether it affects it or not.  If you are not familiar with using the FSUIPC to monitor VAS, check out page 3 of the AVSIM CTD Guide for the method for setting it up (see my signature for the link).

Best regards,