Sign in to follow this  
DAL488

Moderated Forums (PSS, for example)

Folks:What is the purpose of a moderated forum? Censorship or preventing defamation?As with most, I was excited to see the AVSIM headline that PSS had screenshots of there next a/c. I anxiously clicked to link not knowing what to expect. Now, I'm not a Concorde fan; so, it probably should not come as a surprise that I'm not very interested in the PSS Concorder.I decided to post my opinion. Here's what I stated, verbatim: "I'll pass."I was somewhat surprised to see that the PSS moderators did not allow my post.So, what's the purpose of a moderated forum? Censorship, prevention of defamation, or possibly both??I'm not challenging the purpose, I'm just interested to know.James

PSS is a commercial operation. Why would they want to have any posts on their forum that don't encourage more people to buy their products? Non-commerical moderated forums are to allow the moderators to prevent defamation and flame wars, but a forum like PSS's is bound to be run for their own benefit, and an "I'll pass" in response to their announcement isn't to their benefit.Richard

"I'll pass" is of little interest to PSS or other users on that forum. (who cares if you pass or not). So don't be surprised it did not get posted. However I once asked (politely) about a feature of an upcoming product and it never got posted either - in this case I was scratching my head and ultimately decided there are other commercial vendors with less paranoid attitude and more open forums.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys; I assumed that would be the case, but I guess my thinking is that AVSIM owns the forums, and, therefore, I assumed AVSIM might have some say in what's posted. Then again, maybe PSS pays AVSIM a premium for being able to rule their forum on their own?!I don't know; not a big deal.James

Guest Phoenix

Having the moderated forum allows us to prevent the unnecessary posts, flames, repetative posts, the "me too" posts and the "I will pass" posts :-). This allows us to use the forum for what it is suppose to be for Support. We went to the moderated forum because ertain individuals made it necessary by their conduct when it was not moderated. Any time you have something not posted feel free to write me and send me the post and I will see that either it gets up or that you get an explanation why it wasn't posted... Fair Enough?Robert KirklandPSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Robert, and the clarification on PSS's reason for the moderated forum. I appreciate your post.James