Sign in to follow this  
dromeascr

PFD indications

I just want to ask what are these two supposed to indicate:

pwE9RYc.png

That 6.8 digital gauge along with the LNAV/VNAV

(By the way, I should have left flap 1 setting there, shouldn't I?)

Thanks for your time

That 6.8 digital gauge

AoA - angle of attack. In this case, you have a higher AoA. The red is the stall point. This would be normal for a climb at this altitude, and low speed. Not sure why you're in that state, but I'm assuming it's a high altitude field, or an example photo.

LNAV/VNAV

Means that the navigation perf indicators (below and to the right of the blue/brown artificial horizon) are showing your LNAV (lateral nav) and VNAV (vertical nav) accuracy. In this case, the vertical is missing because there isn't a VNAV path to climb on - you're in VNAV SPD and not VNAV PATH.

Note that, if shooting an ILS (or other navaid-based procedure), the LNAV/VNAV text will change to the station identifier to note that the indicators are coming from the specific station.

(By the way, I should have left flap 1 setting there, shouldn't I?)

Based on the indications, yes. Select UP only if you're accelerating to the UP indicator. In this case, you're holding 210, so you'd leave out the appropriate flap (you want to be above the flap indicator, so if you put Flap 1 out and the 1 indicator is above your speed, put 5 out until you're accelerating).

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks, quite illustrating. 

The vertical perf indicator (you mean these little triangles, right?) appears as soon as I reach T/D, is it supposed to be shown throughout the cruise? (where VNAV PTH is engaged).

Just want one more thing to ask, when flying a VDME approach, I have to keep the plane flying inside the rectangle displayed on the VOR ND map? I have tried it 2 times today in different airports, while descending I put the VOR freq and the course in the NAV RAD page, I followed the instructions in the charts to the final approach and tried to sustain the course while flying inside the edges of that rectangle. But when I finally got the runway in sight, I noticed that I was in the correct course but to the left (it was to the left in both cases),quite aslant to be ingored and I had to make a pretty big adjustment to my final approach to finally land. 

If the visibility was any lower, chances are that I would had to fly a missed approach cause I wouldn't be able to correct my track in time. 

So, I want to ask, is that an FSX issue (maybe the scenery is outdated or the VOR is missplaced or anything like that, considering I was using the default scenery for both airports.), or I just don't have to fly inside the area of that rectangle in the ND VOR map ?

You see, I'm just attempting to master the PMDG Triple seven, and you have helped me a LOT, thanks in advance, Kyle

The vertical perf indicator (you mean these little triangles, right?) appears as soon as I reach T/D, is it supposed to be shown throughout the cruise? (where VNAV PTH is engaged).

The vertical perf indication is to the right of the artificial horizon, and if you were in VNAV PTH (in a climb or descent), you'd see a magenta triangle on it.

Just want one more thing to ask, when flying a VDME approach, I have to keep the plane flying inside the rectangle displayed on the VOR ND map? I have tried it 2 times today in different airports, while descending I put the VOR freq and the course in the NAV RAD page, I followed the instructions in the charts to the final approach and tried to sustain the course while flying inside the edges of that rectangle. But when I finally got the runway in sight, I noticed that I was in the correct course but to the left (it was to the left in both cases),quite aslant to be ingored and I had to make a pretty big adjustment to my final approach to finally land. 
If the visibility was any lower, chances are that I would had to fly a missed approach cause I wouldn't be able to correct my track in time. 

Not sure what you're talking about when you refer to the "rectangle."

I could write an entire instrument approach lesson for this, since a lot of this question is related to more complex instrument rating theory, or you could look at many of the various instrument approach lessons online.

This one looks decent: http://nashvillecfi.com/instrument/vor.html

Either way, VOR approaches are not all made to put you right onto runway heading. The one in the link, above, requires a 20 degree correction whenever you finally see the runway. So, what you saw is not abnormal. Either that, or you weren't flying it properly.

The instrument rating itself isn't insignificant in the amount of training received, as the content can get quite complex. As an example, you need 40 hours of flight in actual or simulated instrument conditions. To put that in perspective, the FAA requires people to have 40 total hours to get their private pilot certificate (a little less if you go to a Part 141 school, but still). You essentially need to fly the entirety of your private pilot training under the hood, on top of instrument ground school, and other flight requirements, in order to get the rating. By that time, the various approaches are all generally understood. I point all of this out to say that there's no way I can pack all of the information you need into one post, but I do encourage you to pick through the information over time. Over time it will make more sense. That's honestly how I learned a lot of things myself.

Kyle Rodgers

Please fly the tutorials for the B777.

See also the PFD symbology in the FCOM beginning on 10.10.1.  True that there is a fire hydrant amount of information to swallow, that is why I recommend the tutorial and reading the introduction. Also become comfortable with finding information in the FCOM and FCTM (use Ctrl+F for Find).

Dan Downs KCRP