Sign in to follow this  
Medic1030

New Computer Windows 10 - What do I need to know?

So my new computer will be ready this week (i7-4790k, GTX 970, OS and FSX on SSDs) and I will be going with Windows 10.

Prior to this I've been running FSX on a less than ideal laptop with Win 7 which I optimized as best as I could using just about every setup guide that could be found out there, including all the big ones. Unfortunately no such guides exist for optimizing Windows 10 for FSX. So what are some key points? I know some things remain the same, ie deactivating UAC, while others are quite different. For those of you with experience using Win 10 what are your best optimization and setup tips in order to maximize what I can get out of FSX, or just in general.

Thanks,

Corey

Corey

Windows 11 | i7-13700K processor | Nvidia RTX 4070 video card | Pro Z790P WiFi motherboard | 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR5, 5200 MHz RAM | MSI Liquid 240 cooler | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, NVMe PCI-E 3.0 SSD (x2 - 1 dedicated for MSFS; another for the OS and everything else) | Ethernet network connection being used | 32" 1440P IPS, 165 Hz, G-Sync compatible (range: 20 Hz to 165 Hz) monitor | Currently using Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant, with CH rudder pedals. Plan to upgrade all to Honeycomb|

This is what I do on a clean install:

1. After W10 installs, you will go through the setup. Make sure to choose "Customise Settings" instead of "Express Settings". Disable everything you feel should be off.

2. Create a "local" account to login to the OS. (I don't use the "Windows Store" or "metro apps", nor do I buy "apps")

3. Go to the Settings "app", Privacy, and disable everything possible. Turn off everything under "Allow apps to use X", and on the last box, disable " Allow Windows to ask for my feedback" and "Send device data to Microsoft."

4. Open Control Panel, go to Default Programs, and change default programs that open pictures, videos, and audio from "metro apps" to Windows Photo Viewer and Windows Media Player.

5. Disable OneDrive from starting up when the PC starts up. I'm not sure why this is on by default. Open OneDrive in the task bar notification area, go to Settings, and turn off the option.

6. Make sure to set Windows Updates to ask when it needs to restart your computer. Also, disable P2P updates in the same section.

7. Uninstall all the other "metro apps" that can be uninstalled (such as "Money", "3D Builder", etc.)

8. Disable Defender Cloud Protection and Automatic Sample Submission.

There's a huge guide for configuring W10 here: https://tweakhound.com/2015/12/09/tweaking-windows-10/

Test run FSX for a while after each addon that is installed. I'm finding Win10 is not nearly as friendly as my Vista64 install was.

Thanks folks.  Seems like great tips/advice. 

Corey

Windows 11 | i7-13700K processor | Nvidia RTX 4070 video card | Pro Z790P WiFi motherboard | 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR5, 5200 MHz RAM | MSI Liquid 240 cooler | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, NVMe PCI-E 3.0 SSD (x2 - 1 dedicated for MSFS; another for the OS and everything else) | Ethernet network connection being used | 32" 1440P IPS, 165 Hz, G-Sync compatible (range: 20 Hz to 165 Hz) monitor | Currently using Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant, with CH rudder pedals. Plan to upgrade all to Honeycomb|