Sign in to follow this  
carguy4471

Which monitor would you choose

Simple enough question.  Choices are:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/444614/Q2778VQE_27_Quad_Resolution_Monitor

http://www.microcenter.com/product/445399/29UM67_29_UltraWide_219_Full_HD_FreeSync_LED_Monitor

Current monitor setup is a 24" 1960x1080 and a 21" 1960x1080.

I'll be replacing the 21 and keeping the 24 as my second monitor.  

Which route would you go??

Thanks everyone!!

If I had to choose JUST between those two, would get the LG no doubt (would not buy an AOC monitor).

That's only if I had to choose. The one I Just bought is the Dell U3415W

If I had to choose JUST between those two, would get the LG no doubt (would not buy an AOC monitor).

Why not AOC? I recently upgraded to a 32" AOC Q3277PQU and it's stunning! Very well made, excellent screen and a 3 year warranty. Highly recommended.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Why not AOC? I recently upgraded to a 32" AOC Q3277PQU and it's stunning! Very well made, excellent screen and a 3 year warranty. Highly recommended.

There are at least 4 brands I would pick with my eyes closed any day over "AOC", and they are Samsung, LG, Dell and Asus.

There are at least 4 brands I would pick with my eyes closed any day over "AOC", and they are Samsung, LG, Dell and Asus.

But that doesn't answer the question. Why?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The question was mostly about the aspect ratio. 27" 2k vs 29" ultra wide.

Sorry to divert your thread a bit, carguy!

To answer your original question, the two monitors you linked both have good and bad points. I looked at a 29" LG when I recently upgraded and, whilst the screen width is OK, it's not very high (only 12.9", according to the LG website) and didn't seem like that much of an upgrade over my old monitor, particularly as the vertical resolution was still 1080. But for a different opinion, look here: http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/10564-bought-this-today/ . I assume you have an AMD graphics card, otherwise you'd be wasting the FreeSync feature of this monitor. There are non-FreeSync versions available but I would personally avoid the curved screen model; you just don't need it at this screen size.

The 27", 2560x1440 AOC has an excellent screen but text on the desktop and in menus was just too small for me, hence the reason I went for the same resolution but at 32". If you opt for the 27" monitor, don't be put off AOC by comments in the other posts - my experience with them has been very good and most (all?) come with a 3-year warranty which is better than many other brands. They're generally good value for money and I would definitely buy another.

Sorry to divert your thread a bit, carguy!

To answer your original question, the two monitors you linked both have good and bad points. I looked at a 29" LG when I recently upgraded and, whilst the screen width is OK, it's not very high (only 12.9", according to the LG website) and didn't seem like that much of an upgrade over my old monitor, particularly as the vertical resolution was still 1080. But for a different opinion, look here: http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/10564-bought-this-today/ . I assume you have an AMD graphics card, otherwise you'd be wasting the FreeSync feature of this monitor. There are non-FreeSync versions available but I would personally avoid the curved screen model; you just don't need it at this screen size.

The 27", 2560x1440 AOC has an excellent screen but text on the desktop and in menus was just too small for me, hence the reason I went for the same resolution but at 32". If you opt for the 27" monitor, don't be put off AOC by comments in the other posts - my experience with them has been very good and most (all?) come with a 3-year warranty which is better than many other brands. They're generally good value for money and I would definitely buy another.

This is some great information.  Thank you! ! !

I do run an Nvidia card.  So that was critical information.  

The bit about text on a 2k at 27" was my main concern.  I didn't know if the increase from 24 to 27 was enough to compensate for the higher resolution.  Non of my local PC stores have the ones I seem to want to check out on display when I go in so I've been a bit in the dark.  There seems to be a vacuum in the 29" 2k arena for monitors.  That seems like it would be a sweet spot but I don't see much out there.  27 and 32 seem to be the pickings.  

I might have to measure the desk and see if a 32 would fit and possibly set some additional money aside and wait a bit longer.  That's a tough ask though, lol.

Lots of people seem to be very happy with 27" QHD screens and there's no doubt that the picture looks excellent. The text is not too small to read but it was just too small for me on a 27" screen (probably just old age creeping in!) - I hate to think what 4k screens must be like at that size. You can increase the text size on the Windows Desktop but the font size is generally fixed in game menus (the FSX Alt menu, for example). I would definitely try to see one "in the flesh" before buying. For me, 32" is definitely the sweet spot for 2560x1440.