Sign in to follow this  
bmaik

Limiting frames with MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision

Hi to all,

can anybody of you confirm that MSI Afterburner and/or EVGA Precision Frame Rate Limiters work in windowed FSX DX10 mode and using Reshade/SweetFSX on an NVidia Card? I have learned that these limiters have a problem with overlays such as a sweetfx but there is an option "Enable compatibility with modified direct 3D libraries" which can be ticked in order to use these limiters successfully with FSX and sweetx.  But for me this doesn't work. It seems that the OSD display cannot be shown in FSX because when I run any of the two limiters before starting FSX I get the error message "Error 28-unable to install message filter". If I start FSX before and fire up Precision or afterburner after starting a flight the frames get immediately locked but not at the value I've set the framerate to be limited (30 fps) but at a ridiculously low value (like 0.8 fps or 1 fps) which makes the game unplayable. If I set the frame limit to a value I can only dream of (like 200 fps) then the frames lock at around 7fps. So they limiters do kind of work, but they lock the framerate far below the value I've set it to be limited. Additionally there is no way to make the On Screen Display show up in FSX for both limiters. The framerate is set to unlimited in FSX internally. Does anybdy have an idea what could cause this strange behaviour? Can it be an add-on (like EZCA) that causes this behaviour?

I have tried other external limiters before (NVidia, Tommti SSAA-Tool, etc.) but none of them worked for me so far in my setup with windowed FSX, DX10 and sweetfx. Does somebody know of another limiter that works in this setting? My FSX still suffers from stuttering. None of the .cfg tweaks has helped me to reduce it so far.

Best regards

draci