Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

ATC Approach 10,000 ft Problem

A few times now, I'm following an approach pattern given to me by ATC, but they keep me at 10,000ft until I'm on final approach.. then clear me to land giving me about 10nm to drop 10K.If I try to decend early, the controller keeps ordering me back upto 10K.Happened at a few airports.Is this duff MSFS ATC?? or am I doing something wrong?

HI,In my opinion you're not doing something wrong, it's the duff sim that does. In terrain with al lot of mountains you get this. I've seen it often flying to Sion (Switzerland) or Innsbruck (LOWI, Austria). So often that I ignore ATC in those approaches. Or is there anybody out there who nows how to fix this?Herman (EHGG)

Flight Sim has a grid system with minimum safe altitudes. Those are based on the highest terrain within the grid.FS does not direct aircraft below the minimum safe altitude until the aircraft is cleared for final approach.One way to avoid this is to select a published approach on the GPS. That will show you the holding patterns to allow you to descend safely. Always choose a transition if possible, not vectors to final.One other point - is landing at an airport like KASE - Aspen Colorado USA - don't hesitate to cancel the IFR and go in on final on visual.In the real world almost all of the mountain airports have very high requirements for visibility for the final approach. That's a good habit to have in FS.For a couple airports - LOWI and LSGS - there are alternate approach files available by Jim Vile or Matthew Ministry on this web site.The approaches are written for AI traffic - but can be used for the user aircraft.However, remember that while the approaches are called ILS approaches - they are not available to guide you down to landing - you must be able to plan and execute your own descent.LOWI does have a localizer with glide slope for Rwy 26 - but it will not align your aircraft with the runway - you still have to make the final turn manually.LSGS has a similar localizer with glide path for Rwy 25 - but you still must align the aircraft with the landing runway on short final.