Sign in to follow this  
Alou2

FSX In-flight charts, airport maps ect. Need inputs.

(First, I am aware of APCharts but it never worked for me, beside this might have extended useability)

Backstory: I got hold on a pdf with a collection of charts and diagrams for Vancouver International, through IVAO Canada. These charts are outdated but IVAO Canada do point out these charts can be used in sims and they appear to be relevant to at least stock FSX. I did a test:

* Print-screened the Vancouver Intl airport diagram, opened Paint, cropped the image to just include the actual diagram then saved the image as a bmp in the Cessna 172's panel folder noting down the pixel size.

* Created a custome window and after wrestling with WS aspect ratio I managed to bring up the diagram in the VC.

2 things I noticed right away: One was, I was thrilled silly I didn't neccessarily need to exit the cocpit environment to view charts while in flight. 2nd, to have individual panels for all charts for all airports is not doable.

So:

Is there a way to have, as part of flight preps, you load into this window menu system the charts you are going to use for a given flight, leaving out all the rest?

My window is very basic but clean and I like that, so no real need for any fancy graphics for a gadget, more like good old fashion paper charts.

ay7ps9.jpg

(Mind you, it looks a LOT crisper in the sim)

[Window06]
file_1024=VancIntlAP.bmp
size_mm=1360, 778
pixel_size=901,606
position=4
window_size=0.8
background_color=0,0,0
visible=0
ident=10000
sizeable=0
zorder=5
update_rate=6

Now, there might be something like this already but I haven't found it. Anyway:

Since the pdf is a collection of charts and diagrams including a bunch of various approach charts, I thought how about the functionality of selecting the entire collection in my virtual pilot's briefcase where I can choose which of the diagrams I want to look at while flying.

Then I thought about all the other collections for other airports. Vancouver isn't very interesting if I fly around London or Kuala Lumpur so this functionality should allow me to somehow choose which collection I want to bring with me.

Is it doable, to have you select which collection of charts you want in-game without having to use any external screen, or having to exit the cockpit?

ref: http://www.ivao.ca/charts/cap,cap2

Moved from the developers' forum as I think you'll get more viewers here.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Moved from the developers' forum as I think you'll get more viewers here.

Best regards,

Thank you!  I wasn't sure where to post it.