Sign in to follow this  
Elsmoko

(FSX)Pax cabin nite lighting as viewed from exterior

Where is the subject lighting intensity established (effects file, config file, etc.) ?

Not a big deal, but I'd like the airliner cabin windows to show up a bit better at night

on some aircraft. 

Thank you,

Ken

Ken Boardman

Normally the "cabin lights" will be found on a bitmap in the ..\texture folder of the aircraft. It will have a _L or _LM extension on the filename. Find the texture in question, load it in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, and edit away. Be sure to save it back in the same format (.bmp or .dds) as appropriate.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you for the informative reply Fr. Bill.  I looked at some _L and _LM files in the folders of the default aircraft;  however I'm working with the MAAM

DC-3s and they don't appear to have files with _L and _LM in their file names.  Can you recommend another means of affecting the cabin lighting

intensity?

Best regards,

Ken

Ken Boardman

Normally the "cabin lights" will be found on a bitmap in the ..\texture folder of the aircraft. It will have a _L or _LM extension on the file name.

Thank you for the informative reply Fr. Bill.  I looked at some _L and _LM files in the folders of the default aircraft;  however I'm working with the MAAM

DC-3s and they don't appear to have files with _L and _LM in their file names.  Can you recommend another means of affecting the cabin lighting

intensity?

Best regards,

Ken

Edit the bitmap or texture that controls night illumination which does not have a _L or _LM extension. If there is night illumination, it exists. Bill was trying to help you not have to learn too much about arcane MSFS file conventions. Try this: do not look for any particular name. Find a pair of almost identical textures in the texture folder. If this particular model has multiple liveries, select a simpler model until you feel more proficient because multiple liveries can require multiple texture folders in order to render all night illumination. Eventually you will find a texture (use the _LM ones as examples) that has noticeable portions of tail and or fuselage that looks relatively "normal." Now locate the texture that is shaped identically, but is dark in most places. Windows will be bright and the tail might look like a spotlight is directed to illuminate a logo there. This is the texture you want to edit and perhaps several more similar. The _LM suffix is used to help identification and some software uses it, the simulator ignores the "_LM" designation.

Rick Keller

I'm tinkering with an FS9 "port over" aircraft.  Don't know if that makes a difference in what I have to work with,  but I don't see any files that appear

almost identical in the texture folders of the various paints.  I know what you are referring to Rick,  because I can see the nearly identical files in

the folders of other (FSX native) aircraft.

Thank you,

Ken

Ken Boardman