Sign in to follow this  
jhaley

Solid Black Circle above aircraft

I've looked at a lot of posts, but nothing that has really helped. 

I have had the fixer installed for a while, but I notice at night that there is a very large black oval shape above my aircraft.   It's not there in the day time, but is always present at night.   It's a HUGE oval shape and can been seen when you look left or right or directly up.    Generally you cannot see it when looking straight ahead, but as soon as I look left or right, there it is.     

If I slew, I cannot climb above the solid texture.    As the aircraft climbs, the oval texture rises as well.  

When I uninstall the fixer and go back to DX9, this problem does not exist. 

Is it possible that some core texture has been altered?

I've cleared the shader folders but that makes no difference.  

It's not a REX problem or Active Sky issue.   I've deleted and reinstalled those programs and tested without them, but this problem continues to exist..........again only at night. 

FSX, Nvidia 980 card.   

Thoughts, suggestions are much appreciated.  

JH

If you see anything black above your aircraft it means you have something installed that was developed for DX9.  It could be the aircraft or a scenery program.  You can go to Flight One and download a program called Addon_Converter_X which converts FS9 and earlier textures on the fly to DX10.  It doesn't do it permanently, just on the fly.  They have a 20 minute demo you can try before you buy to see if it works.

DX10 is a superior technology to DX9 so you need texture files made for DX10 technology and only FSX w/SP2 or Acceleration have those textures.  FSX basic does not or FSX w/SP1 does not.  So, you have to make sure any program you get to with SP2 or Acceleration was made for SP2/Acceleration.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, I truly appreciate your response and you've given me food for thought.    I've also used the Addon Converter you speak of, but that was a long time ago, previous installation.   Been simming for years.   Guess I could try it again

But the aircraft I'm using is the default AirCreation at a default airport, without any other type of add-on.   

FSX with SP2/Acceleration.   

DX10 worked before but now it's this annoying circle.    

Any other thoughts?  Again thanks for posting.

John

BTW, I'm trying tonight again with the Converter, let you know how it goes.

No change with the converter installed and running.  

It's totally weird.   Half the sky is black with light clouds, half is light with black clouds.   

FSX on drugs

JH

Did you turn off DX10?  Make sure it is a DX10 problem first.  If the textures are normal, then you know it is a DX10 issue.

If the issue continues, try reinstalling your video card drivers or,

uninstall Acceleration or SP2 (whichever one you have installed), and reinstall Acceleration or SP2.  You can do this by going to the Add/Remove Programs and selecting Acceleration there or insert the Acceleration disk and select uninstall.  For SP2, just doubleclick on the programs installer and select uninstall.

Then reinstall.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, 

Yes DX10 on and off.   No difference.   

Following your lead.   Downloaded installed the latest drivers, blew out the config.   Reset.   Same problem.  

I'll try acceleration uninstall and reinstall. 

Sure appreciate your help and patience.  

John

No luck, was hopeful the uninstall and reinstall might fix the trick.

Still the annoying humongous circle in the sky remains.

It's not attached to the aircraft, I can slew and it stays fixed.

I'm baffled. No sign of problems during dawn, dusk or daylight hours. Only night

http://www.avsim.com/topic/467164-dark-line-in-the-sky/

This is pretty close to the problem, but my black band is a much larger orb.  

Perhaps the milkway textures?

JH

<p>Well, that appears to be the problem

I replaced the milkyway_lm.dds texture with a personalized one available here at Avsim and the black circle is gone!

However, it's replaced now by a rather unsightly customized milkyway.

I have 3 back-ups, but they are all the same size texture, so it's possible that this may have been corrupted about 3 months ago, which is when I first started to notice it.

I think I'm almost there.

But why would enabling DX10 highlight this problem?

JH

I believe I've nailed it. The orb is gone and on closer inspection from my monthly saves, I remember going in and renaming that particular file after others had posted various comments and suggestions for its altering/removal. I must have done something to the file which led to its corruption.