Sign in to follow this  

How active is OVPA still?

Hi there!

Lately I am quite interested in flying the Aerosoft busses in Shared Cockpit. I have done it last year within our German virtual airline, but not with as much skill as I would like. My newest idea concerned expanding my horizon a bit more and doing SC with someone from another country. Today I was looking for websites on which I could possibly find someone like that. OVPA came up there. So I started the Ventrilo download to see if someone was online on their voice server, but the program cannot find the given adress. The homepage, which I found, also seems to have expired.

Since @Dave is very active here and belongs to OVPA I guess I made some sort of error in my research.

A little bit of help would be welcome. Did the links change? Has the the Ventrilo server been taken offline? Or is it the time difference between Germany and the US?

About myself (before someone asks):

- 31 years old, sociable, located in Germany (surprise, surprise), looking for English-speaking or German-speaking (although I already have the latter) cockpit partners. I feel very comfortable in the virtual FO seat and do not have too much ambition to play PF immidiately. I just wish to have fun and maybe learn something new as well.

- My flightsim experience is in total about 120 flights with the A320 family in the past 5 months plus about 5 flights in a simulator of home-cockpit level. The last one was 1 week ago and lasted 2 hours (unrealistically single-pilot with real weather, 1 hour flight time + preparation without autopilot support and unfortunately because of various malfunctions with the simulator equipment also without autothrottle and rudder during the approach/landing, but that is another story - to sum it up: I got with a completely filed flightplan by hand-flying exactly where I wanted to be and the rest was (probably - I hope) not my fault. BUT if I had been passenger on that faulty flight, I might have sued the airline afterwards).

- I have very limited online experience on IVAO, but to be honest I had a severe clash with a controller and cannot be bothered to try again. So the planned SC flights would have to be offline. Plain and simple as that. The guys in our VA also had to understand the same thing. I do not fly online, but seek someone willing to do flight planning, route planning and crew management together without online ATC.

- I am still busy reading the FCOM and various other manuals, because the Airbus family is about the only thing I fly. I rather try to reach a deeper level instead of using another airplane in about every week. Naturally I work 40 hours in 7 days and cannot manage it as well as someone learning it to make a living from it later on.

Effective workload management and the like is also something I do have to learn, because I did not fly Shared Cockpit often before and my partners were usually in a rush (after work, getting to bed before it is too late and the like).

- My connection method is not Hamachi or something similar, but simply IP direct connecting. So far it worked to open the router ports and enter the flying partner's IP adress in the Airbus configurator. Whether that might work with someone outside Germany is something I have to find out. Also about lags in the connection. I would hazard a guess that the lag in a connection US - Germany might be quite severe. But again... I never did it before.

--------------

Bottom line: I am a sociable person, not a total newbie anymore (means I can program the MCDU and find most switches), know about "the problem" of offline flights without online ATC (not to everyone's liking) and seek contact to OVPA or also other Aerosoft Airbus pilots who feel like responding nonetheless. :wink:

If someone could at least point me in the direction of any organisation / website like OVPA I would gladly take that as well.

(/End of wall of text)

Visit www.msflights.net. Our community has several German members. I don't know how much Airbus flying they do but you'll at least have to group of German speaking aviation folks to talk with.

We have written forums such as this area on Avsim. Most of our communication is done via voice on Teamspeak (www.teamspeak.com). Teamspeak is a small and very easy program used for voice communication. Our teamspeak server address is ts3.msflights.net.

You'll find this and other useful information on our website.

Thanks for the link, but I guess I need to clarify that I am not looking for another VA. My mistake. I am already member of one (even a happy member) and really lack the time for multiple flights with different virtual airlines.

I also know what Teamspeak and Skype are. I am running both on my computer already. :smile: Our virtual airline talk on Teamspeak also covers most areas desired. Sometimes even more than most - ie in: "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it and more to boot."

Skype is unfortunately a little bit more troublesome than Teamspeak. I rather use it once I am not flying, because my FSXSE sometimes quits without warning when I am running the programs simultaniously (sim + Active Sky Next + our VA's LiveAcars + Skype = most likely a crash).

I am looking for a platform, where I can meet folks (prefereably non-Germans, because I already did a few SC flights within our VA), if I am willing to fly Shared Cockpit.

Hello guys...

OVPA has been around for 10 years and is still active behind the scenes (working on projects with developers).... but we've also had a reorganization AND we're on our traditional summer break.  I'm also gearing up for another Broadcast (my last one had almost 5000 viewers and we gave away a lot of high end FS products).  So all in all, busy.

If you're interested in learning more about OVPA, please visit the website and if you'd like to speak with me please email me via the CONTACT OVPA link on the site.

Best wishes for happy flights!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks, @Dave. Will do so.

Also happy flights to you and always three green.

9 minutes ago, alexnaughton69 said:

I will do shared cockpit

You might want to check out their site instead of posting in a 3 year old topic!  https://ovpa1.webs.com/

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: