Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Godzone city of Auckland questions

I had to re-install Godzone's city of Auckland scenery and I have a few questions.

1. I had to install the scenery manually and there is a file in the Ocen/scenery folder (the name is FL994450GVF.bgl). Now I know I am supposed to place this file in the Ocen/scenery folder, but am I supposed to delete (or rename) the original FL994450.bgl file?

2. At Whenuapai Air Force Base (NZWP) there is water going up a hill, is there a fix for that?

3. Was there ever a heliport somewhere in the city of Auckland scenery? I haven't flown around there in a while and I forgot if there was or not. If there is, then where is it?

I've had to cheat a bit, and read the manual, as it is probably a decade since I had this installed....

The manual states that the installer will rename the default FL994450.bgl (with a GVF extension) to disable it, and install the new one.

This is photo scenery only, it doesn't include much which affects elevation, so the water riding is probably just a mismatch between your mesh and the photoscenery.

'Supercity', the FSX version, includes a rooftop helipad in the CBD, plus on top of the new hospital model, and Mechanics Bay. But I forget what FS2004 Auckland had... sorry about that.

Oh so the file FL994450GVF.bgl is the renamed original file? I got a bit confused with that since that part was crossed out in the pdf manual. I have both of those bgl files installed now, I will delete the GVF one and see what happens.

For mesh I have the old Red Baron NZ mesh that covers all of New Zealand. The read me says that this scenery is not compatible with older 150 meter elevation mesh, but I don't know/remember what the red baron mesh was.

I guess I will have to fly around and look to see if there was a heliport. It has been a while since I flew around that city so I may be thinking of somewhere else.

Oh so the file FL994450GVF.bgl is the renamed original file?

Hi,

this "FL994450GVF.bgl" is the new file installed by the scenery. (Files with the .bgl extensions are still active). In my case, there's another file called "FL994450.GVF", and this should be the deactivated stock file. This is confirmed by the fact that "FL994450.GVF" has the common date of the stock bgl files.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Thanks Harald. I see now. I installed the correct bgl file and saved the original one. Although I don't see a difference in the sim with the different bgl file.

Now all I need is some high quality airport scenery for Auckland (or the near by airports) and I will be all set!

all I need is some high quality airport scenery for Auckland (or the near by airports)

While you will be able to get very good freeware sceneries for smaller airports in NZ, we all wait for a good NZAA scenery... and wait... and wait...

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I've eyed NZAA too, but I suspect it is just a little too big to dip one's toe into Gmax for the first time...

the water riding is probably just a mismatch between your mesh and the photoscenery

Nice to see Robin dip into the FS2004 forum!

Joseph you might install Lawrie Roache's Whenuapai scenery - as I recall we messed with flattens all round to stop water climbing up.

I guess I will have to fly around and look to see if there was a heliport.

There are heliports around Auckland, perhaps download my "10 squirrels" package and use the AFCADs. There was one bad one alas, which messed with Robin's scenery downtown - just remove the AFCAD 

*EDIT* I never did re-upload it here after the hack... look at flightsim.com:

nzas351.zip 

I tried Lawrie Roache's Whenuapai scenery (it is real nice), but I still have the water climbing up a hill.

PS: It's the water just off runway 08/26. On Wikimapia the water is named Kotukutuku inlet.

I don't have NZ installed at the moment  :fool:

But here's what mine looks like, when I do:

http://nzff.org/viewtopic.php?p=8279921#p8279921

Is this what you see?

Only thing I can think of is (I think) in the fs.cfg you need

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20

for the RBE mesh to work properly.

I just tried changing the TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL= to 20 (I had 21) but that didn't do anything.

In you screenshot where the top of the Orion's tail is there is a ridge and it ends right around where that bridge is to the left. And that is where the water is climbing up.

Best put that back to 21 if it works in your sim elsewhere!

Bit of a mystery, I'll think some more...