Sign in to follow this  
Teddy

High CPU Voltage 6700k

I have a 6700k with a ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger mobo.  I have noticed that the default cpu voltage for 4200Mhz (turbo boost mode) was 1.312v.

After reading many articles on the internet, i realised that the default is set high and most recommended that one should reduce it by setting it to manual mode.  I set the cpu voltage to 1.25v.  Even after manually setting the cpu voltage to 1.25v, when on load the core voltage went up to 1.38 volts at 4200Mhz.  The highest reading was 1.43 v.  I measured the voltages using XTU and HWMonitor.  The second thing I observed is that the temp reading in the UEFI reads 42 deg C.  And at idle load, temp on XTU reads 36-38 deg C.

I think there is something wrong, but not able to figure out what.  All suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Teddy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You haven't got windows set to performance mode by any chance have you. If so try balanced.

Latest BIOS?

the temp reading in the UEFI reads 42 deg C

Actually core temperature will be higher than this, as the temp in the UEFI is "CPU temp". Not from the sensors in each core. Don't forget that at idle you CPU fan/s will be ramping down to a lower RPM, hence the higher idle temp.