Sign in to follow this  
bpcw001

G1000+Navigraph package issues

Hi,

I recently got me the Phenom 300 with the Navigraph extension package.

I have and use Bert's excellent GTN 750 integration his various other fixes (thanks Bert!) without issues, but I also wanted to take a look at what the stock Carenado offer is like.

Now, I was able to build a flight plan in the G1000 with departure, en-route-section using airways (a real PIA) and an arrival/approach section. Phew. It all appears to be a bit shaky and buggy, but well.
However, what totally turned me off is what happened when once enroute, I was given a direct-to to a fix in the flight plan.

The procedure as I know it is to navigate the flight plan, put the cursor over the waypoint you want to go to, press the Direct-to key and activate the respective waypoint.
What should happen in my opinion is that the aircraft turns to go directly to the selected waypoint (which happens) and keeps the flight plan following this waypoint intact (which it does not).
The whole flight plan gets erased and ends up to only contain the single waypoint that was selected as direct-to. Bummer!

With the flight plan gone, it would not even be possible to cancel the Direct-To navigation (which is a feature in the G1000).

So, is that a bug or am I doing it completely wrong?

From what I've read, is it even worth bothering with the G1000 or is it too buggy to be of any use for someone who doesn't do just simple direct-to navigation?

Thanks

Dave

Dave P. Woycek

Hi,

I don't have (jet) this plane, but in a document 'REAL GARMIN G1000 PHENOM 300 PILOT'S GUIDE' the right way for this is not to press the direct-to button: once you have navigated to the desired wp in your flight plan, you must press the 'ACT LEG' soft key in the MFD, in order to make the wp as the active leg. This way the rest of your fp will remain in use.

Greetings from Spain

******* Serrano

Hi,

I don't have (jet) this plane, but in a document 'REAL GARMIN G1000 PHENOM 300 PILOT'S GUIDE' the right way for this is not to press the direct-to button: once you have navigated to the desired wp in your flight plan, you must press the 'ACT LEG' soft key in the MFD, in order to make the wp as the active leg. This way the rest of your fp will remain in use.

Greetings from Spain

******* Serrano

I beg to differ.

Activating a leg will make the aircraft intercept the course to the active leg waypoint based on the previous waypoint. This is a valid scenario, and it also works in the Carenado G1000.

A direct-to turns the aircraft directly from the present position to the direct-to waypoint without trying to intercept the course given by the line previous-waypoint to direct-to waypoint.

These are two different functionalities. Both should work.

If controllers give you a direct-to, they usually expect the second behavior, i. e. turning directly to the new waypoint and from there on continue to sequence the rest of the flight plan.

Killing the whole flight plan on a direct-to invoked from the flight plan to a waypoint in the flight plan would not make sense.

Dave P. Woycek

After doing some more reading in the Prodigy Pilot's manual, it appears that if you want to have the "usual" behavior, you need to do it like that:

Selecting an active flight plan waypoint as a direct-to destination:
1) While navigating an active flight plan, press the Direct-to Key. The Direct-to Window is displayed with the
active flight plan waypoint as the default selection.
2) Turn the small FMS Knob counter-clockwise to display a list of flight plan waypoints (the FPL list is populated
only when navigating a flight plan).

3) Select the desired waypoint.
4) Press the ENT Key. The cursor is now displayed on ‘ACTIVATE?’.
5) Press the ENT Key again to activate the direct-to.
Or:
1) Select the Active Flight Plan Page on the MFD, or the Active Flight Plan Window on the PFD.
2) Select the desired waypoint.
3) Press the Direct-to Key.
4) Press the ENT Key. The cursor is now displayed on ‘ACTIVATE?’.
5) Press the ENT Key again to activate the direct-to.

Apparently, it is important to not just enter the waypoint by hand, but pick it from the list of flight plan waypoints.

I will test this. Maybe Carenado even implemented it right. Let's see ...

Dave P. Woycek