Sign in to follow this  
vims

Dc6's flight model?

I think when they port the dc-6 to FSX / P3D they'll also have to use workarounds... Only for different reasons, but still many required, starting with no modelling at all of the type of engine used in the dc-6... just like a2a had to do with their b377 + cots...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I suspect the people who say FSX flies on rails aren't flying payware addons in a decent weather engine like ASN.

I know for a fact, that some people have mis-conceptions of how airplanes fly.  Some think that the air mass is continually moving the aircraft from side to side, up & down, tail wagging, etc. And that pilots are continually making adjustments for this.  They then figured, that simulated  flight within FSX was a bit boring compared to X-Plane.  With X-Plane, there was always that constant left roll, that has the sim pilot making aileron trim adjustments with every power change. Even if the simulated plane doesn't actually have aileron trim. Then the tail would wag, which means the nose hunts, and becomes a form of uncontrollable dutch roll. This had me jamming my feet against the rudder pedals, which didn't do any good sim wise. For some, X-Plane was thought of as a "Challenge".  Even when it was known, that the left roll was more than unrealistic.  We shouldn't be holding hard right aileron, as the plane leaves the runway. It should be a matter of right rudder!

See, I'm the guy, that in real life, would work on getting kinks & bad rigging out of real planes. Items such as a heavy wing, which cause roll in either direction.  I know that within calm air, of which there is plenty, that a well rigged aircraft won't fight the pilot, and that moving across the ground at several hundred miles an hour or more, will actually feel smoother than "riding on rails".   As I said, if the simulated plane is fighting me, then I feel it's badly out of rig, or badly designed, and that I need to do something about it.  Happily these days, there are X-Planes that have eliminated that sense of being out of adjustment.  In fact, I'm enjoying some of these new X-Planes in turbulent air, because I no longer sense them having no longitudinal/lateral stability. It now seems very real! 

• Upvote 2

This thread is getting outside of its original scope. Right the course or it gets shut down.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks pmdg team for the clarification on the subject, and thanks to all others for their informative insights with flight dynamics across the different platforms. Interesting read.