Sign in to follow this  
JYW

"Skid Dry" sound keeps restoring... arrrgh!

Hi,

Can anyone help with this frustrating problem that has been driving me mad for weeks?

Like most people, I really don't like the "Skid_Dry" sound in X-Plane, so I downloaded an alternative (silent) file for it, and replaced the file in the correct location (X-Plane 10/Resouces/Sounds/Contact).

As soon as I start X-Plane 10, I still hear the "Skid Dry" sound, and when I close it and go back to the above folder, the original Skid Dry sound has somehow been restored!

I am using the Steam version of XP10.   I tried it with Steam in "offline" mode in case it was restoring the file on launch - no good.

No matter what I do to that Skid Dry sound file, when I launch XP10 it's back!!

Any pointers folks?

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Try making the file readonly (Right-click and properties). That way, nothing can overwrite it. Hopefully XP won't throw an error, but if it does you can just remove the readonly again

Try making the file readonly (Right-click and properties). That way, nothing can overwrite it. Hopefully XP won't throw an error, but if it does you can just remove the readonly again

Thanks Tony - I'll try that now.    Just tried attempt #53  (turning of XP10 updates) and it still got overwritten to the original.   Bizarre!

Bill

It doesn't make sense why that's happening, it sounds like Steam is doing something upon start up and replacing the file. On the non-steam version (on mine at least), I did the skid sound fix when I first installed it, and it's never disappeared. Let us know how you get on

Your plan worked!!!

I think you're right that this was related to Steam and it's caching of local files (or something along those lines).  Anyway, marked the file as read only, fired up X-Plane, no errors thrown, no dastardly Skid_Dry sound!

Thanks so much Tony - this one has been torturing me for days,

• Upvote 2

Bill