Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How do I set up a Saitek X52 if no Saitek software is installed

Like so many others (it seems), much as the X52 suits me perfectly for FS9 and FSX, I am being driven mad by the rotations and axes suddenly deciding to go off-centre, so that taxiing aircraft becomes almost impossible as they start to veer to left or right. I am so fed up of having to minimise the sim, unplug the X52 and plug it back in again.

It appears, from what I have read in various forums, that this is due to the Saitek auto-calibration software and that if I uninstall the Saitek software (that means programming and drivers I assume?), I will never be bothered by this problem again!

But that's no use if I can't set the functions of the various buttons in the three modes ('Red', 'Orange' and 'Green' - I use them all) exactly as I have them now, as defined by the Saitek .pr0 profiles. (I've been using the X52 for years and I have every function in my head without having to think of it - any major change to how all the functions work is a definite no-no).

Could anyone advise exactly how I would re-programme all the X52 functions, but with no Saitek software installed, if that is indeed achievable?

Many thanks,

Martin

Look into Aerosoft reviews and you'll find a complete review of the X52 (version Pro I think). There you can find information about installation with or without drivers or other software.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

If Ed's suggestion doesn't help, then perhaps this might?

http://joytokey.net/en/

I've used this successfully on an old Cyborg 3D stick for playing Orbiter. Win 7 ultimate 64bit OS.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks. I'll read the review more fully a bit later, but it does seem to say that if you want full functionality of the X52, you need to install the software. I've downloaded joytokey as well - I'll try it out on a different PC before I change my current setup on the main 'Flightsim' computer.

Will post back on that, but other contributions more than welcome in the meantime!

• Upvote 1

Not had time to test anything yet, but I want to put on the record (given how much criticism they get from one forum to another) that Saitek (MadCatz actually) support over this has been very good, with friendly, same day (often same hour!) replies to all my questions and with sensible, informed suggestions for troubleshooting. They replaced the hardware for me once and are offering to do so again, as the problem has not been resolved, but having said to them that I tend to think this is software, not hardware related, they have sent other things for me to do in order to see whether that's true or not.

I'll 'keep you posted' over this issue ('cos the same thing is in forums all over the internet!), but just wanted to say something positive about MadCatz, given the good very support experience I have had. (You have to go to the support site and open a ticket, by the way)..

M.

• Upvote 1

The JoyToKey software is pretty neat! If only I could somehow set-up the three separate mappings the X52 has (Red, Orange, Green) I would use it. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem possible (no surprise) so it's not really an option as a replacement for the Saitek software. Nothing much in the review that would help with this...

It seems to me that when the X52 calibration data is deleted from the registry, then the device works with no problem (not 100% sure of that yet but seems to be true so far): it gets reinstated after a time however, so I have made a little script that will delete those keys from the registry at every boot, and maybe that will prevent the axis/rotation problem from occurring. I have a few other things to try - will post back re. any progress, as I know that this is not an uncommon problem (judging by the number of threads I have found on other forums via Google).

• Upvote 1