Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Now this is what is called flying

Just saw this on the news. They have picked up the sick worker, and are on their way back to the British base at Rothera Point.

From there the patient will be flown to the US for treatment. Quite a challenging environment to be operating in. The total darkness is bad, -60C, is just crazy. Kudos to the team from Kenn Borek Air, for even attempting this.

Jazz

When I first heard about it on the UK national evening news programme, Today, I was stunned to hear that due to the South Pole's winter, most if not all of the flight would be in darkness, I was in awe then. Now reading more about it, it's case of saluting the airmanship displayed.

most if not all of the flight would be in darkness, I was in awe then. Now reading more about it, it's case of saluting the airmanship displayed.

Considering that there isn't any runway to land on, there isn't much in the way of lighting for a ground reference, except moonlight. Landing a frozen otter on a snow bank, in the dark, is quite the achievement. Something to try out in P3D, with the Aerosoft otter, for sure.

Jazz