Sign in to follow this  
Avalon

FSX freezing when accessing menu items

I am hoping this is in the right forum...

With the exception of my GPU which is not so bad (9800gtx+), my system is pretty solid for fsx:  

i7 4790k@4ghz,  Win 7 pro with 32 gigs of ram.  

So what happens is that if I start a flight and access any of the menu bar items up top, very early in the flight, I am able to navigate through whatever and get back to the flight.  But after a few minutes I try this, it will always open the menu item but will not go to any other levels of choices or even let you cancel.  All that happens is the icon you click on animates like it is supposed to - then nothing happens.  I have to bring up the task manager to quit the software.

Fsx was doing this from the start on my last install and so I began uninstalling all of my addons, one by one and testing.  I got all the way down to just fsx and it was still doing it.  So I did an uninstall, cleaned my registry and started over, firing up the sim and doing a full restart after each stage of the base software, sp1 and then sp2.  I have not installed anything else and it is STILL doing it.  The software is on my Bitdefender list of okay software so I don't think it could be that.  The only thing I noticed is that it did not ask for my license key. 

Any ideas? 

Freezes from accessing the drop down menus has been attributed to the UIAutomationcore.dll. There is a good write up on this on page 25 of the AVsim CTD guide. You can access the guide by a link on the right side of this web page.

Ted

• Upvote 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Freezes from accessing the drop down menus has been attributed to the UIAutomationcore.dll. There is a good write up on this on page 25 of the AVsim CTD guide. You can access the guide by a link on the right side of this web page.

Ted

I tried this and it did not work...though not with the new install. I will report back.

Still doing it.

Sorry to hear that. The only thing I can think of is to read through the CTD guide and see if you can find any other clues. Your event viewer found in the windows manage computer dialog box will state the error code and file that is causing the crash. The file causing the crash may have a section covering it in the CTD guide.

Also if you post your crash log here as described in the CTD guide someone on the forums may have some other ideas.

Edit: One other thing. Your video card is about the oldest I've seen in awhile. Upgrading the drivers may help if they are as old as the card. You have a good CPU. Upgrading that video card to Nvidia x70 or x80 series will give you quite a bit better graphics quality.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Sorry to hear that. The only thing I can think of is to read through the CTD guide and see if you can find any other clues. Your event viewer found in the windows manage computer dialog box will state the error code and file that is causing the crash. The file causing the crash may have a section covering it in the CTD guide.

Also if you post your crash log here as described in the CTD guide someone on the forums may have some other ideas.

Edit: One other thing. Your video card is about the oldest I've seen in awhile. Upgrading the drivers may help if they are as old as the card. You have a good CPU. Upgrading that video card to Nvidia x70 or x80 series will give you quite a bit better graphics quality.

Ted

Thanks Ted.  Some good info!  I would love to see any crash report of Event Viewer report.  The 9800GT or GTX is old but it was great when FSX first came out in 2006. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10