Sign in to follow this  
parachutem

Computer crashed , now what.

Hello,

I  installed a GTX 980 in my dell 8700 and when I turned it on it completely crashed my computer.  So, I was thinking of getting  another 8700 and just moving my hard drives, old graphics card and   memory over.  Is that a reasonable idea.  I have no backups since I had FSX on  two hard drives and tons of scenery/airports. I was using 8.1 and now It seems I have to get  windows 10 which I don't really want to do .Or do I spend days reinstalling or do i go fsx se? any thoughts recommendations would be very helpful.

Hello,

I  installed a GTX 980 in my dell 8700 and when I turned it on it completely crashed my computer.  So, I was thinking of getting  another 8700 and just moving my hard drives, old graphics card and   memory over.  Is that a reasonable idea.  I have no backups since I had FSX on  two hard drives and tons of scenery/airports. I was using 8.1 and now It seems I have to get  windows 10 which I don't really want to do .Or do I spend days reinstalling or do i go fsx se? any thoughts recommendations would be very helpful.

Alrighty, first things first. What card did you have before? First rule of a crashed system, set BIOS to default settings, remove everything except the CPU, 1 stick of ram and if your Motherboard does not have integrated graphics, try the most basic video card you can and see what happens. If it boots, get to BIOS, go default and restart. If it boots to windows I suspect 1 of 1 thing, power supply. It could also be that the power for the GTX980 isn't passing correctly or it's not sitting in the slot just right.

Try it, let us know.

-B

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

I have an 8700 too and installed a 960 in it and It would not boot up at first.  It's been a while, but I remember it was a simple fix like a BIOS update from Dell.

Alrighty, first things first. What card did you have before? First rule of a crashed system, set BIOS to default settings, remove everything except the CPU, 1 stick of ram and if your Motherboard does not have integrated graphics, try the most basic video card you can and see what happens. If it boots, get to BIOS, go default and restart. If it boots to windows I suspect 1 of 1 thing, power supply. It could also be that the power for the GTX980 isn't passing correctly or it's not sitting in the slot just right.

Try it, let us know.

-B

graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3. Before I updated the card I used wagnardmobile Display Driver Uninstaller.  I updated the bios to a11. It is a new power supply I updated to corsair 750. after I installed the card. the computer keep trying to start up and then I got a message that it is going to try and correct the error. I said yes. it started up and now it just froze black screen. I then removed the card. and replaced the original card and now nothing seems to happen at all.

I started with a 970 but my monitor wasn't working with the hdmi( I had been dealing with EVGA) , so I bought the 980. that crashed the computer  and so I decided to return those cards and try the 950 which is lowest model.

graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3. Before I updated the card I used wagnardmobile Display Driver Uninstaller.  I updated the bios to a11. It is a new power supply I updated to corsair 750. after I installed the card. the computer keep trying to start up and then I got a message that it is going to try and correct the error. I said yes. it started up and now it just froze black screen. I then removed the card. and replaced the original card and now nothing seems to happen at all.

I started with a 970 but my monitor wasn't working with the hdmi( I had been dealing with EVGA) , so I bought the 980. that crashed the computer  and so I decided to return those cards and try the 950 which is lowest model.

Kind of motherboard? Have you tried switching power supply off, unplug it for 3 minutes, plug it back in then turn back on again?

Also, pull the video card and memory out and try re-seating them.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!