Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

RSP/PTA and Active Sky 2016 + Active Sky Cloud Art

Hi,

Perhaps I've missed it, but posts relating to this combo have not yet appeared on the forums. This does seem very surprising in view of the fact that so many of us have adopted the superb shader enhancements offered by these utilities. In my case, Pe11e's RSP along with P3D v3.2 has produced amazing imagery which I would be very reluctant to lose.

Quite simply, my question relates to whether we can expect any downsides to using AS2016 + ASCA with established shader tweaks? I suspect that there may well be as changing sky textures potentially can have an impact on in-sim lighting. That being the case and having established the 'perfect' set of shader tweaks, will we have to content ourselves with a static, unchanging cloud and sky texture installation rather than allow ASCA to destroy the status quo?

Should you wish to experiment then it would be wise to backup your Texture folder before doing anything else. In fact, backing up the sky*.bmp and the sky*.dds files in the Texture folder may be all that's required (along with the usual deletion of the shaders folder) to provide an easy route back in the event ASCA, in full flow, spoils the party. However, I haven't tested this yet so don't quote me on that ;)

Regards,

Mike

Been using all (PTA + AS16 + ASCA) since release and have yet to see any negatives. 

Your question did come up in some recent replies to the "Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) " thread located in this forum .

WAT1460.png

Been using all (PTA + AS16 + ASCA) since release and have yet to see any negatives. 

Your question did come up in some recent replies to the "Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) " thread located in this forum .

Hi Vincent,

That's reassuring and encouraging...thanks! Have to say, however, that this surprises me as it has been known for some time, correct me if I am wrong, that the wrong choice of sky textures can have negative effects on lighting, especially in the VC where it can become very dark. That hasn't been an issue for me as my preferred RSP tweaks appear to be okay in that respect. My understanding is that ASCA will swap (assuming it is configured to do so) cloud and sky textures dynamically during a flight in keeping with any changing METAR updates. Could it be that those simmers who have yet to experience any lighting issues have not flown long enough for changes to have occurred? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how all this works.

I'll look again at the "Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) " thread. Clearly it seems I haven't been looking hard enough :)

Edit: Found it - rightly or wrongly I wasn't expecting to find such posts in the pinned thread.

Still not sure about this as a switch in sky and cloud textures will have preset shader tweaks applied to them thus causing changes in lighting - perhaps that is, after all, what is intended and what we, in fact, want to see happening to get that bit closer to reality.

Regards,

Mike

If you set up your shaders they way you liked prior to AS16/ASCA - there is a difference. Whether or not this is a negative is up to the individual. I noticed different subtle color and shadow changes. Not enough to warrant my redoing the shaders yet but they were there. Remember tho, I was testing so I was looking for anything that was different.

I think it is going to vary by individual  depending on how severe their shader tweaks were. Some will need to be adjusted.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If you set up your shaders they way you liked prior to AS16/ASCA - there is a difference. Whether or not this is a negative is up to the individual. I noticed different subtle color and shadow changes. Not enough to warrant my redoing the shaders yet but they were there. Vic

Hi Vic,

I rather thought that was likely to be the case. I guess I should be biting the bullet (after backing up of, course) and start experimenting. I would hate to lose the enhanced ground texture lighting - looks superb since applying my chosen RSP tweaks.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.