Sign in to follow this  
conura

PMDG DC6 - worth a buy?

Hey all,

I've got the IXEG, SAAB, AFL172 and the FF767 so I guess I'm a high fidelity aircraft addict. I'm not particularly interested in the DC6 as an aircraft but if it's a genuinely brilliant simulation I think I'll pick it up. Is it as detailed as the IXEG? I know PMDG have a great reputation and I loved their NGX, but is this worth the asking price?

Hi Conura,

Angelique Van Campen is doing an in depth review of the DC-6 at x-plained.com. You might want to have a look, she's always very thorough in her reviews.

I hesitated buying this aircraft because it seemed so complex and this old brain doesn't learn new tricks quickly.  I bought it though, and have been extremely happy.  The flight engineer handling the things that the pilot (in real life) wouldn't be handling anyway and leaving the pilot's responsibilities intact, is so different from anything I have ever flown before and really seems to add to the realism. Other older aircraft I have purchased, leave you trying to figure out antiquated navigational systems while this one has GPS to get you where you need to go.  Unrealistic?  No, all these old birds flown today are being equipped with modern navigational aids and this fits right in with reality.

Overall, it has become one of my favorite aircraft to roll out of my hangar.

John

• Upvote 1

John Wingold

I bought the DC-6A/B because it gives me a chance to fly a legacy of the skies from back in the day when pilots had to really work to fly their aircraft and when commercial aviation was really getting sofisticated, 50's and 60's.Shes a beauty to fly and with the help of the Virtual engineer really compliments the whole flying experience. It is now my absolute favorite aircraft in my hangar with over 40 hours almost on her. Shes easy on the FPS too, truly a joy to fl. Highly recommended!

I was fairly critical of the DC-6 when it was released, particularly regarding the engine start procedure and the sounds. However, PMDG have already adressed some of the issues (sound was greatly improved with the first update) and by now I have to admit that it is an excellent addon. As others have pointed out the DC-6 is a joy to fly, and quite a bit more challenging than your average Airbus or Boeing. The maintenance features (which you can disable, btw) are an added bonus that will remind you to operate the engines and everything else in a realistic way - otherwise you'll soon see the consequences. It's not quite on a level with A2A products on the FSX/P3D side, but pretty convincing nonetheless.

Personally, I love operating all the systems myself, but if you prefer a more realistic approach you can let the AFE handle the jobs that normally would be the first officers and flight engineers' responsibility.

In short I'd highly recommend it. Despite some flaws I'd rate it among the top 5 addons for XP, and you get a very good package with two models (cargo and pax), great manuals, tutorials and more, so the price is adequate too.