Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

fsscene and BEV going head to head

Guest bdg

Competition is good I'm sure you will agree. I just read the announcement that FSScene will introduce autogen adjustment. The only thing that will be missing will be improvements to the autogen ojects themselves. I was just curious if anyone out there or the BEV team would care to comment on how many man hours did it take to produce the new autogen objects used in BEV? You gotta love it. I have used FSScene from it's first offering but when BEV came along I jumped. For all you folks who thought $12 per season was too expensive and you own FSScene then you have to be happy. It will be interesting to see how all of this pans out. Wow it just keeps going and going. I have to stop buying all this stuff and save for my new dual core and the upcoming 64bit FS10.RegardsBob

I purchased FSGenesis membership and have always been happy, once I found out FSScene did not go well with it, I stopped myself from picking it up. BEV is a dream come true though. Amazing textures. looking forward to their fall winter, night, spring, and the rest of the world

That's odd as I have used FSG mesh and FSScene and USA Roads and it all looks marvelous to me. I looked at the BEV stuff and decided it was somewhat better, but marginally and hardly worth the bother after using FSScene. I know BEV offers some more capability, but perhaps the gap is narrowing there as well. I have some great screenshots to prove FSScene and FSG do indeed go well together.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Same here. Using UT (USA and Canada both), FSGenesis mesh for about half the planet, and FScene worldwide.Work well together. I've heard of some problems with Justin's landclass product and FScene, related to Justin (and other landclass authors) using texture mappings which don't agree with the more accurate textures FScene (and probably BEV, I've not used that) use.This can cause a texture that using the default set looks good next to another (say an Asian desert texture used for a bare North American mountainside) to look terrible when a replacement set of textures for either area is in use.Nothing can be done about that except ask the landclass author to stop doing things like that :)

Guest SaVas

I agree that there is nothing wrong with competition.I have had FSscene for quite a while now, all seasons. I did like the summer and winter textures, but the fall textures I found too...cartoonish/colorful, but lived with it.BEV came along and I jumped at the chance. $12 is a pittance anyway to take a chance, and Im glad I did. I very much look forward to the BEV textures that are up and coming in releases and think it will be a great replacement for the FSscene textures.Dont get me wrong, FSscene was a great add-on, I just find that its aged, dated, and in need of something newer, and I am all about giving BEV a chance.

I agree that BEV feels more "fresh" and modern than FScene.About compatibility, both BEV and FScene suffer from exactly the same problems. Justin's landclass apparently calls for some textures which actually belong to other regions of the world. For example, it uses some jungle or rainforest textures for the Pacific NW. This is because the default north american textures didn't include a suitable texture, so he used one from another region. There are probably other examples of this. The result is that here and there you will see an FS default texture. It's less obvious with BEV because the artistic style is more similar to FS defaults. With FScene these default textures stick out like a sour thumb.The developers of these addon textures simply need to look at the FSGenesis landclass and determine which additional textures are used, and create those. Can't be more than a couple of textures in total. For FScene, the textures are already there, in the South american set so if you buy that you get complete coverage for north america.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP