Sign in to follow this  
JohnB777

Jump from 1080p/60hz to 1440p/144hz

Hey there,

I am currently running a 1080p 60hz Acer monitor, and I was pretty happy with it while on a GTX 970. However, I just made the jump to a GTX 1070 and I often hear that in order to take advantage of that card I should think about jumping to 1440p with 144hz. However, researching what to get is difficult because most people online who runs tests with monitors play video games like Battlefield or CS GO etc... which behave very differently than a flight simulator like P3D or FSX. Can someone who has experience with the transition from 1080p to 1440p and 60hz to 144hz please help me understand what is the best option? I also heard of G-Sync but not sure what benefit it would have for flight sims. I really only use this PC for flight simming, so would 60hz to 144hz even make a difference, since realistically FPS in P3D or FSX never passes 60 FPS (or 40, if you are flying into a heavy airport with weather, a complicated aircraft, and AI traffic etc...). Also, what would be the preformance hit from 1080p to 1440p. I only run one monitor, and with the GTX 1070 it should probably handle it very well, but still....

Current monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009720

I was looking at some ASUS monitors for an upgrade. But am open to any suggestions. My maximum budget is $400.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I made the jump from 1080p 60hz to 1440p 144hz while using a GTX 770 (ran it at 60hz). I recently got a GTX 1070 and I have started using the monitor at 144hz. I do not nice any difference in P3D since I never hit those kind of fps (I have P3D locked at 30 fps). The monitor I got scales very well in frequency, so it is still a smooth experience going to a different frequency. I also play Battlefield, Doom 4 etc. and running at 144hz make a world of difference. I am never going back.

I made the jump from 1080p 60hz to 1440p 144hz while using a GTX 770 (ran it at 60hz). I recently got a GTX 1070 and I have started using the monitor at 144hz. I do not nice any difference in P3D since I never hit those kind of fps (I have P3D locked at 30 fps). The monitor I got scales very well in frequency, so it is still a smooth experience going to a different frequency. I also play Battlefield, Doom 4 etc. and running at 144hz make a world of difference. I am never going back.

Good to hear, what about the quality of the picture in particular? Is the difference between 1440p and 1080p as impressive as many say? Escpecially in P3D?

I think everything looks better in 1440p, maybe its some kind of placebo effect, but I think it does. 4K looks better of course. The pixel density on 1440p is perfect for a 27" monitor like the one I have.

Good to hear, what about the quality of the picture in particular? Is the difference between 1440p and 1080p as impressive as many say? Escpecially in P3D?

It's night and day. 1440p is fantastic.

I just moved to a 27" 165Hz panel and it looks a lot smoother in general over my other 60Hz 1440p monitor