Sign in to follow this  
LoRusso

P3D crashes as scenery bar appears

P3D V3.2 is crashing to desktop as it starts to load scenery. I noticed that the P3D config file was named Prepar3D.exe.config I removed it and it did not write a new config file.

Running windows 10, 4790K, GTX 970

Nothing new has been added in the last week or so. Was working on FSUICP macros last few days but thats about it.

I updated the client to version 3.3.5 and this allowed me to activate and the sim started but everything was drawn very slowly. I let it finish and then restarted and it crashed to desktop just as before.

I have looked through the long list of posts, not sure where to start.

Just found the CTD guide, looking at it now

If I have to reinstall the application do I have to reinstall all third party scenery and aircraft with the original installers or can I grab folders and files.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          8/15/2016 10:01:05 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Windows
Description:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.2.3.16769, time stamp: 0x56df48ce
Faulting module name: C172.dll_unloaded, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x569a8875
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000232b9
Faulting process id: 0x2a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1f76162a6c8ba
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C172.dll
Report Id: edc339fa-4aa6-4bde-bd0a-5be6a702fe2a
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-16T02:01:05.919283800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>8471</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Windows</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>3.2.3.16769</Data>
    <Data>56df48ce</Data>
    <Data>C172.dll_unloaded</Data>
    <Data>1.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>569a8875</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>000232b9</Data>
    <Data>2a0</Data>
    <Data>01d1f76162a6c8ba</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>C172.dll</Data>
    <Data>edc339fa-4aa6-4bde-bd0a-5be6a702fe2a</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Thanks in advance

Bob

I noticed that the P3D config file was named Prepar3D.exe.config I removed it and it did not write a new config file.

There could be several p3d.cfg's in your file.  You have to move p3d.cfg to a temporary folder or delete it and it will be rebuilt.  The p3d.cfg is in a hidden folder.  See the first section of the AVSIM CTD Guide where this is explained and how to see the hidden folders. 

There is a prepar3d.exe in the main folder of Prepar3D and that file will not be rebuilt if you delete it.  In fact, P3D will not even start up.  I've never heard of a Prepar3D.exe config and think you are confusing it with the p3d.cfg in your users hidden folders.

If I have to reinstall the application do I have to reinstall all third party scenery and aircraft with the original installers or can I grab folders and files.

It depends on what addons you have installed.  You should not have to completely uninstall/reinstall P3D.  If you accidently removed the main Prepar3D.exe, you should only need to reinstall the client.msi.  I would recommend checking out the excellent topic about installing P3D by one of our members, Elaine Poppet - http://www.avsim.com/topic/484945-how-do-i-update-prepar3d-v3-using-the-new-installers/

I have a nasty, nasty storm coming through my area so will shutdown down.  Read the AVSIM CTD Guide (no, not every word) but at least the first two sections.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have gotten the sim back up and running by deleting the configs. 

Where is the scenery config located?

Thanks Jim, looks like the guide has me up and running.

Going to trouble shoot a little more and look through rest of guide for best practices.

Thanks again

Bob

I noticed that the P3D config file was named Prepar3D.exe.config I removed it and it did not write a new config file.

That is not the file that you should delete to reset all the P3d UI settings to default. In any case, always rename (and not delete)  files that are needed to configure the app to something with a different 3 letter qualifier like ".orig" or ".old". The file that you are looking for is located in this  hidden folder:

C:\Users\Ray\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

and is called Prepar3d.cfg. You deleted  is the  .NET Framework file that controls how P3d interacts with .NET. Its contents are:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
  <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/>
  </startup>
</configuration> 

P3d will not run properly without it. Unless it is still in your Windows recycle bin and you can restore it, you are going to have to do a repair install of P3d. Else, you can use Notepad to create a new copy with the original name using the above code.