Sign in to follow this  
james8tg

Invalid Scenery.cfg

I have had no previous problems with fsx, after windows 10 was updated the other day, whenever fsx is started, I get the message 'Flight Simulator CANNOT run without a valid sceney.cfg. Please uninstall and reinstall simulator.'

I have tried this many times, including validating the files but I cannot fix the problem. All addons have also been removed but there is still no success.

Has anyone experenced this problem before and what should I do?

Thanks,

James

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In the same folder as your FSX.cfg, there should be a "dummy" default scenery.cfg.  This should never ever be edited, moved, or deleted.  If you should accidentally delete your "working" scenery.cfg located in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX, then FSX-SE will rebuild using the one the "dummy" default scenery.cfg.

If somehow, FSX-SE was not installed properly and you have no C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX-SE folder, then it cannot rebuild the file.  So, you need to look in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX-SE folder to see if there's a scenery.cfg located there.  If so, move it to a temporary folder.  The one that is located in the same folder as your fsx.cfg will then be able to rebuild it.  Right now it simply cannot rebuild it as the one in the C:\Program Data folder is corrupted and cannot be read.

The folder holding the fsx.cfg and dummy scenery.cfg is hidden.  So is the folder in C:\Program Data.  See the AVSIM CTD Guide, pages 5 and 6 on how to unhide these hidden folders.  A link to the AVSIM CTD Guide is in my signature.

Best regards,