Sign in to follow this  
d.woody

Cowl Flap Increments

Can anyone explain how the cowl flaps increments are set. I am trying to create a gauge to use in a 2D panel that will increment/decrement the cowl flaps by the same amount as the VC. It wouldn't matter except I want to use different BMPs instead of a rotating knob, for each step to match the equivalent gauge in the VC. These BMPs have been created from screenshots of the VC and are ready to go.

If I use K:INC_COWL_FLAPS1 (or DEC) in the 2D gauge, I get increments of 10%, but the VC gauge (inbuilt in model) gives 12% (about) increments.This means that I cannot display a particular BMP for each step.

My question is really ......where does the sim get the amount of increment? The increment for trailing edge flaps is set in the

aircraft.cfg file under the appropriate [flaps] section, but I cannot find any mention of the cowl flaps. Nor are they mentioned in the AIR file. It seems that different aircraft (that are fitted with cowl flaps) use different increments.

I don't need any help with the actual gauge as I have done several before but always using a rotating lever or knob.

Ant comments welcome.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Cowl flaps can be "set" using the following commands -

(>K:COWLFLAP1_SET) 
(>K:COWLFLAP2_SET) 
(>K:COWLFLAP3_SET) 
(>K:COWLFLAP4_SET)

It's been a while, but most likely the range is 0-16384 therefore for a 12% inc/dec is around 1365 per.

The read variables are -

(A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:1 POSITION, percent)
(A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:2 POSITION, percent)
(A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:3 POSITION, percent)
(A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:4 POSITION, percent) 

It will be getting a little more complicated from there. Logging via FSUIPC might give you the actual raw (0-16384) numbers returned from the VC. You can then do calculations to get them to match.

I wanted to be able to set the increment so that the Event ID K:INC_COWL_FLAPS1 (or 2) could be used to increase or decrease the flaps setting. The actual settings as used in the VC gauge are:

These are about 12.5% increments

I didn't want to use K:COWLFLAP1_SET each time the mouse is clicked. I still don't know where the settings are specified for the increment.

IIRC there is no way to set the "amount value" of the stock INC/DEC  - for any command.

If A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:1 POSITION, number returns raw values then the following
could be used. If not, get the values returned from A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:1 POSITION, percent
and adjust the rng values to suit.

INC -
<Click>
<!-- From 0 -->
0 200 (A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:1 POSITION, number) rng if{ 2048 (>K:COWLFLAP1_SET) } 
<!-- From 2048 -->
1848 2248 (A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:1 POSITION, number) rng if{ 4096 (>K:COWLFLAP1_SET) } 
<!-- From 4096 -->
3896 4296 (A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:1 POSITION, number) rng if{ 6144 (>K:COWLFLAP1_SET) }
<!-- ETC... -->
</Click>

DEC -

<Click>
<!-- From 2048 -->
1848 2248 (A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:1 POSITION, number) rng if{ 0 (>K:COWLFLAP1_SET) } 
<!-- From 4096 -->
3896 4296 (A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:1 POSITION, number) rng if{ 2048 (>K:COWLFLAP1_SET) } 
<!-- From 6144 -->
5944 6344 (A:RECIP ENG COWL FLAP:1 POSITION, number) rng if{ 4096 (>K:COWLFLAP1_SET) }
<!-- ETC... -->
</Click>

Not tested at all, and not completely sure if the rng command works inside a <Click>.  Worth a try. 

The rng is used to assure that a command will be caught.