Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

Weather addon

Guest TShoemaker

Hi,I'm looking at purchasing a weather generator for FS2004, and I'm stuck between 2 choices...>>ActiveSky and FSMeteo. I'm pretty sure that someone has used either or both programs. I would like to get an opinion on which one is more recommended. Thanks for all the help.Trent

I've moved your post here from Hangar Chat so it grabs more attention from us MSFS folks. Some of us live here 24x7 :)-John

First, you should know that this topic has been discussed in these forums. So you might use the search function to find more opinions on this matter.My own view is that ASVe (Active Sky V enhanced) is the way to go...at the moment. I have been a very happy user of FSMeteo and found that program and the author's support excellent. It is a laudable package. However, after listening to the "buzz" and trying Active Sky, I switched over. (The weather seemd better represented, the cloudscapes were more complex, the patterns more varied within visual range, the special effects more interesting, the transitions smoother, and so forth. Note that the newest version of FSMeteo may be better too.)One advantage of Active Sky is that there is a lively support forum here at AVSIM. ( http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=171 ) You might go through the pages there to get some sense of the user community. (Be forewarned. The product is pretty mature now, so most satisfied users are pretty inactive. But the newcomers, as you might be, are plenty talkative.)Good luck with your choice.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest bobsk8

If you want the bestin weather, get ACtive Sky 5. If you don't care if you have the best, then get one of the other programs.......

Guest fox450

Nope, ASV IMO does what the default built-in weather engine does, produce weather which is in most cases way off from what it really is when you look outside the window.Weather-maker Pro does a far better job and the developer is going to bring out a new version with a feature which will be ground-breaking and a "(Desktop) Flight-Sim FIRST"decide for yourselfAnthony

fwiw, I'm very happy with the freeware program FSMetar...but, I'm not quite the stickler some of the long range heavy jet drivers are...:-).Still, as freeware I think it's worth a try.Sherm

Guest bobsk8

>Nope, ASV IMO does what the default built-in weather engine>does, produce weather which is in most cases way off from what>it really is when you look outside the window.>Weather-maker Pro does a far better job and the developer is>going to bring out a new version with a feature which will be>ground-breaking and a "(Desktop) Flight-Sim FIRST">>decide for yourself>>AnthonyAll I see are some shots of FE, which I have in addition to ASV and ,my clouds look like the ones in the screen shots, and also like the ones I see when I fly around in a RA. Am I missing something?????

ASV is at the moment the most complete, most respected weather program among FS users. It is very rich in features and has phenomenal support. But don't take it from me - read other threads on the subject and draw your own conclusions.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

"Nope, ASV IMO does what the default built-in weather engine does, produce weather which is in most cases way off from what it really is when you look outside the window.Weather-maker Pro does a far better job":-lol You are kidding right?