Sign in to follow this  
Barak381

A new build for P3D V3

Good afternoon,

I am a Flight Sim enthusiast for almost 17 years, but my last PC was bought around 8 years ago :-)

Although, I have bought a pretty strong laptop (Sony VAIO) 3 years ago, it's not good enough to run FSX or P3D.

For the last year and half, I used FS2004 on my laptop (14.6' laptop) flying LEVEL-D 767 everywhere I could.

Due to recent developments, I have decided to build a new PC in order to continue where I stopped and to finally evolve.

My plans are pretty much to run P3D V3 on the highest possible definitions while using PMDG 73/77 and other add-on's such as AS2016, AS scenery etc.

I intend to overclock for what it matters.

I would be delighted to read your thoughts on the latest combination I got:

Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K Socket 1151 8MB 4.0Ghz Tray

Noctua NH-D15

Asus Z170-PRO-GAMING Socket LGA1151 DDR4 VGA+DVI+DP+HDMI

2 X Kingston ValueRAM 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz CL15 KVR21N15S8/8

SeaGate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 64MB Sata3 7200rpm

Sandisk Plus SDSSDA-240G-G26 240GB SSD SATA III     OR     Samsung 750 EVO Series MZ-750250BW 250GB SSD SATA III       (To be used for P3D) Which one do you suggest ?

SSD M.2 PCIE חברת Intel דגם 600P 256GB SSDPEKKW256G7X1      (To be used for Windows 10)

Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 GAMING 8GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI 3xDP PCI-E

Fractal Design Define S Black Window Mid-Tower Case  (Two 120/140 mm 1000 RPM fans included)

Antec TruePower TP-750C 750Watt 80Plus Gold     (Don't have an option for a Corsair PSU)

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM

I am also contemplating on how many fans to add to the case.

Thank you very much guys,

Barak

ELY446.png

Core i7-7700K teases up to 40% performance increase

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/54212/core-i7-7700k-teases-up-40-performance-increase/index.html

My plans are pretty much to run P3D V3 on the highest possible definitions while using PMDG 73/77 and other add-on's such as AS2016, AS scenery etc.

I intend to overclock for what it matters.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Thank you. Unfortunately, we don't have this model around here at the moment..

God knows when the 7700K will be available, but one option is to wait a while, just in case the claimed gains are valid.

As for the system you mentioned above, looks great.

For RAM I would highly recommend GSkill Ripjaw V though. The 3200 MHz modules are outstanding.

For graphics, I always favour EVGA. Great support and reliable cards.

Antec PSU's are generally very good. In fact I've had many PSU's fail over the years, but the one PSU that has lasted for ever is an Antec. I even stripped it down and cleaned out the dust. [Don't try that yourself unless you are experienced with electricity - qualified - dangerous]

As for your Fractal case. I believe it comes with only one fan at the front. I'm sure that would be adequate, as most of us over cool our enclosures. However, to be on the safe side, and ensure sufficient air flow over the MB, VRM's etc, I would install the max 3 at the front.

Worth remembering that if your case accepts 140mm fans, then the air flow will be higher but noise lower. A good option.

It also depends whether you favour negative, positive or balanced pressure environments in your enclosures. I prefer balanced or a fraction positive. So you may wish to make that decision and configure your enclosure accordingly.

Something else re the Fractal case, like my case, I believe it has no optical bay. So you will need an external optical drive for your disc if you use them.

Only two USB 3 ports on top too.

For my Lian Li X510, I replaced all of the case fans with Noctua NF-S12A PWM fans. Quiet and good airflow. There are a total of 5 fans, all PWM and usually running at low RPM.

God knows when the 7700K will be available, but one option is to wait a while, just in case the claimed gains are valid.

As for the system you mentioned above, looks great.

For RAM I would highly recommend GSkill Ripjaw V though. The 3200 MHz modules are outstanding.

For graphics, I always favour EVGA. Great support and reliable cards.

Antec PSU's are generally very good. In fact I've had many PSU's fail over the years, but the one PSU that has lasted for ever is an Antec. I even stripped it down and cleaned out the dust. [Don't try that yourself unless you are experienced with electricity - qualified - dangerous]

As for your Fractal case. I believe it comes with only one fan at the front. I'm sure that would be adequate, as most of us over cool our enclosures. However, to be on the safe side, and ensure sufficient air flow over the MB, VRM's etc, I would install the max 3 at the front.

Worth remembering that if your case accepts 140mm fans, then the air flow will be higher but noise lower. A good option.

It also depends whether you favour negative, positive or balanced pressure environments in your enclosures. I prefer balanced or a fraction positive. So you may wish to make that decision and configure your enclosure accordingly.

Something else re the Fractal case, like my case, I believe it has no optical bay. So you will need an external optical drive for your disc if you use them.

Only two USB 3 ports on top too.

For my Lian Li X510, I replaced all of the case fans with Noctua NF-S12A PWM fans. Quiet and good airflow. There are a total of 5 fans, all PWM and usually running at low RPM.

Hi Martin,

First of all, thanks a lot for your thoughts.

I intend on switching to G.Skill RAM, so it's good to know they are that good. 

As for the PSU, I don't think I'm going to try anything crazy :-)

The case is suitable for 140mm so I might add 2 more at the front like you have suggested. Sounds good.

I'm familiar with the optical bay issue, not a problem here.

Thanks again,

Barak