Sign in to follow this  
Guest JIMJAM

Carenado Cessna 206 RELEASED!

Guest CWD

>Is it possible to de-select the virtual cockpit from>appearing in Carenado aircraft just like Dreamfleet has an>option to do this?No. Don't know why you'd want to, as the Carenado VCs are beautiful, but I guess VCs aren't everyone's cup of tea. Or maybe it's too hard on your system?

Guest delta_one

It's just that the instruments in the vc on the stationair don't look as clear or sharp on my system as their previous release but maybe i need to adjust my texture settings.

>It's just that the instruments in the vc on the stationair>don't look as clear or sharp on my system as their previous>release but maybe i need to adjust my texture settings.They don't look as clear and sharp as the 182RG on my setup either.But for most purposes, I still prefer VC's for GA size cockpits.L.Adamson

Guest JIMJAM

I wasnt sure you all were talking about the same plane for a minute there. I own most all of em out there and the Carenado VC is one of the best Ive seen.But considering there are 5 million tweeks,configs,machine,setups and miracle cures floating around, It amazes me that most of these addons work at all.

I've put a few hours on my 206 since Tues. and I love it. Once they put out the floats and cargo version I'm sure it will be an award candidate. I did notice that the model has a flap size problem. From spot view behind, the left / starboard flap is larger than the right / port side flap using the wing root as a reference point.The only way to get the instrument post lights on, that I've found, was to fly with the landing lights on.

>The only way to get the instrument post lights on, that I've>found, was to fly with the landing lights on.Open the _L.bmp files for the VCockpit instruments in DXTBMP, and change the alpha channel to pure black (0,0,0). Now the gauge lights will run from any light switch except landing lights......simple fix! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So I use the option in the alpha menu called create alpha channel (black) ?and then what type of file do I have it as? 24bit bmp?Thanks for the help

>So I use the option in the alpha menu called create alpha>channel (black) ?>>and then what type of file do I have it as? 24bit bmp?>>Thanks for the helpUse DXTBMP from Martin Wright http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htmLook in the panel.cfg file for the VCockpitXX entries.There should be a line texture=$xxxxx (whatever filename it is!)Look in the a/c's texture folder for the same filename, but drop the $ prefix and add an _L suffix. This is the lightmap for that VCockpitXX entry.Example: if the line says texture=$vc_01 then look for a file named vc_01_L.bmp... ;)Load the file in DXTBMP, and doubleclick on the alpha channel image to send it to your paint program. Flood the image with 0,0,0 (pure black) and then Save the result.In DXTBMP, click the "uparrow" under the Alpha image window to load the newly edited alpha image.Save As DXT3 w/alpha.Reload FS9 and the a/c, and the vc gauges should now be controlled by any light switch other than the landing lights.It really is that simple! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Alright Bill, you just drove me crazy (not hard to do) ;)Actually there are three *_L.bmp files you have to change (including the VC FILE), but once you edit all three files it works like a charm!The other 'non-VC'_L files will give you the refected glass on the gauges, and the other will back-light the 'fuel bank' group of gauges while also brightening the radio stack lights.Incredible that I figgered that out ;)But I did, and it's really the way it should have been. BTW the taxi lights still work, as do the landing lights; toggeled together you simply get a more intense beam combined.Thanks Bill!EDIT: BTW, if anyone wants the .bmp files I will email them to you. But really, after you figure this out you learn a bit more about how these things work. I just went in and took some 'shine' off a re-paint that was bothering me by making the alpha channel grey instead of (I assume) almost black.

>>It really is that simple! ;)Bill, I'd like to see what you consider complicated.Seriously, thanks for the mini-tutorial. It solved a minor but nagging problem with the 206 and I learned a lot in the process. (I'd never heard of alpha channels before)Rick GrantCalgary Alberta

Guest Mike_Luchia

I would like to take you up on your offer to email the edited files. If you could send them to mluchia@telus.net I would very much appreciate it, thanks.