Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

PFD looking like a ground texture?!

So this is a new one to me...anyone else seen anything like this when bringing up the PFD?

NGX%20PFD.jpg

...and edited to add that shortly after I had a CTD after trying to bring up the engine display. The navigation display came up just fine though...

This is what the log says:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Hang
Date:          2016-10-08 18:31:44
Event ID:      1002
Task Category: (101)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      TheNest
Description:
The program Prepar3D.exe version 3.3.5.17625 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 1094
 Start Time: 01d2215f79955db2
 Termination Time: 40
 Application Path: F:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe
 Report Id: aea530b3-8d74-11e6-9ca2-d8cb8a9b8f26
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-08T16:31:44.631686500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1579</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>TheNest</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>3.3.5.17625</Data>
    <Data>1094</Data>
    <Data>01d2215f79955db2</Data>
    <Data>40</Data>
    <Data>F:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>aea530b3-8d74-11e6-9ca2-d8cb8a9b8f26</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Richard Åsberg

That report doesn't name the faulting module.  An application hang can happen for dozens of reasons so we are just guessing.

Have you changed your system or updated a driver?

I had ground textures from an airport suddenly start being rendered in my VC of a NGX once, very odd.  I recall I changed video drivers to clear it up. Not sure if that is relevant to your problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

That report doesn't name the faulting module.  An application hang can happen for dozens of reasons so we are just guessing.

Have you changed your system or updated a driver?

I had ground textures from an airport suddenly start being rendered in my VC of a NGX once, very odd.  I recall I changed video drivers to clear it up. Not sure if that is relevant to your problem.

Thanks Dan, that is very interesting input because I did upgrade my video drivers to the latest version from Nvidia. I'm using a 980Ti.

Will try to revert to the previous version and see what happens.

Richard Åsberg

I updated to NVidia v372.90 a week or two ago without any issues, also using a 980Ti. 

Try deleting the P3D shaders folder in appdata\local after you change drivers.  Not sure this is relevant to the apphang but it's not a bad habit.

Dan Downs KCRP

I decided I will revert my complete system back to a point in time where I didn't have any issues and from then on I will follow the saying does it work don't touch it meaning I won't update anything unless I have a problem I know can be fixed by updating whatever that might be.

Richard Åsberg

Just noticed the version I was using when I ran into this issue was 373.06 where 372.70 was the version I was running when I didn't have any issues so who knows...maybe this 373.06 version isn't the best one for P3D or it might just have been a coincidence.

Richard Åsberg

maybe this 373.06 version isn't the best one for P3D or it might just have been a coincidence.

Possible, NVidia put out several versions in the 362.xx range for which many in the forums had complaints.  It does happen.  I'm never quick to jump to the newest version.

Dan Downs KCRP

No, will stay with 372.70 now as long as my tests tomorrow turn out fine.

Richard Åsberg

I've seen it in FSX and it usually happened when VAS was getting low. An OOM crash would usually happen fairly soon afterwards. Occasionally I was able to force the sim to refresh the textures and continue the flight OK.

ki9cAAb.jpg

In my case when this happened I had plenty of VAS left so I think in my case it was more likely the video driver or a mix of the video driver and P3Dv3.4.

I'm now back with P3Dv3.3 using the gfx driver mentioned above and haven't seen the problem again.

Richard Åsberg