Sign in to follow this  
GlitchHD

Voice not transmiting

So I have installed the software properly and followed the instructions on how to use it carefully, I have gone through the proccess of calibrating my microphone on the setup wizard. When i start the program while in game everything works fine but when i press my push to talk button to talk to ATC all i get is a loud beep for as long as i hold the button and i get no response from ATC i havent been able to find anything on the internet about this, any help please?

There are quite a few reasons this may happen.

Which ATC program are you using? Or is it a "live" one?

If using Radar Contact 4 and you have "show text" enabled in the GUI, you should see what you are speaking in small red text across the top of the monitor.

The beep is normal if you have that enabled in the GUI. If you are on the latest MCE version, the PTT should be spot on for you.

Don't forget the MCE support is one to one. An email gets you directly to the guy who is the programmer.

Regards,

David

So I have installed the software properly and followed the instructions on how to use it carefully, I have gone through the proccess of calibrating my microphone on the setup wizard. When i start the program while in game everything works fine but when i press my push to talk button to talk to ATC all i get is a loud beep for as long as i hold the button and i get no response from ATC i havent been able to find anything on the internet about this, any help please?

The ATC feature is by far the hardest to master, unless you already had some kind of real world or Vatsim training.

The loud continuous beep (which can be made much quieter in the right-click drop-down menu) is there to indicate MCE has switched to ATC mode where commands for interaction with FO are suspended and those for interacting with ATC are enabled.

The opposite happens when you release PTT.

With this in mind, do not start transmitting until MCE has switched to ATC mode. 

Equally, do not release PTT until the whole message has been transmitted.

You also must transmit swiftly, without too much hesitation, or the speech engine will assume you're done with your message.

And nothing will be recognized when speech doesn't match the ATC rule MCE submitted to the speech engine.

As is the case with real world pilots, your first step is to master the NATO alphabet so that it becomes second nature spelling those Tango Sierra and Bravos.

The call-sign is also very important to MCE. With native ATC it varies depending on aircraft and livery used.

You can find out by asking FO, "confirm our call-sign". "What is our call-sign".

You can select the exact call-sign you want in aircraft settings, under <Details>

It's important you decide to be seen as an airliner (which requires an airline name + Flight_number) or General Aviation traffic whose call-sign is derived from aircraft type and tail registration.

In order to optimize things, MCE will load a specific speech grammar tuned for airliners when it sees such call-sign, and a different one, tuned to recognize GA type of call signs such as "Cessna Mike Tango six".

The ATC feature is by far the hardest to master, unless you already had some kind of real world or Vatsim training.

The loud continuous beep (which can be made much quieter in the right-click drop-down menu) is there to indicate MCE has switched to ATC mode where commands for interaction with FO are suspended and those for interacting with ATC are enabled.

The opposite happens when you release PTT.

With this in mind, do not start transmitting until MCE has switched to ATC mode. 

Equally, do not release PTT until the whole message has been transmitted.

You also must transmit swiftly, without too much hesitation, or the speech engine will assume you're done with your message.

And nothing will be recognized when speech doesn't match the ATC rule MCE submitted to the speech engine.

As is the case with real world pilots, your first step is to master the NATO alphabet so that it becomes second nature spelling those Tango Sierra and Bravos.

The call-sign is also very important to MCE. With native ATC it varies depending on aircraft and livery used.

You can find out by asking FO, "confirm our call-sign". "What is our call-sign".

You can select the exact call-sign you want in aircraft settings, under <Details>

It's important you decide to be seen as an airliner (which requires an airline name + Flight_number) or General Aviation traffic whose call-sign is derived from aircraft type and tail registration.

In order to optimize things, MCE will load a specific speech grammar tuned for airliners when it sees such call-sign, and a different one, tuned to recognize GA type of call signs such as "Cessna Mike Tango six".

ah I see although it seems as though when transmiting to ATC it doesnt detect my voice at all

I speak clearly and swiftly with little hesitation but I still struggle to get a reply from ATC

ah I see although it seems as though when transmiting to ATC it doesnt detect my voice at all

I speak clearly and swiftly with little hesitation but I still struggle to get a reply from ATC

If none of your ATC speech is recognized, and you don't have any issue with Co-pilot understanding your commands, it's more likely because you aren't speaking valid ATC messages.

MCE will only display successful speech that meets ATC specific speech rules. For instance, every request must have the following structure

centre_you_Are_calling + your_call_sign + request_verbiage_variation + actual_request (in this order)

Example:

City ground, KLM 143 standing by for taxi

City ground, KLM 143 requesting taxi

City ground, KLM 143 is ready for taxi

While you may get away with "request taxi KLM 143" at an airport where you're the only traffic and ATC controller is expecting your call any time and has you in sight, it isn't considered good ATC phraseology practice.

You start with the ATC region you're calling. That will draw the attention of the relevant controller

You specify your call-sign. Controller gets a chance to identify who is about to make a request

You make the actual request. By then, controller's mind will be wired to service your request, and not say "station calling say again"

If none of your ATC speech is recognized, and you don't have any issue with Co-pilot understanding your commands, it's more likely because you aren't speaking valid ATC messages.

MCE will only display successful speech that meets ATC specific speech rules. For instance, every request must have the following structure

centre_you_Are_calling + your_call_sign + request_verbiage_variation + actual_request (in this order)

Example:

City ground, KLM 143 standing by for taxi

City ground, KLM 143 requesting taxi

City ground, KLM 143 is ready for taxi

While you may get away with "request taxi KLM 143" at an airport where you're the only traffic and ATC controller is expecting your call any time and has you in sight, it isn't considered good ATC phraseology practice.

You start with the ATC region you're calling. That will draw the attention of the relevant controller

You specify your call-sign. Controller gets a chance to identify who is about to make a request

You make the actual request. By then, controller's mind will be wired to service your request, and not say "station calling say again"

Yes, i understand commands have to be spoken correctly, although i also seem to have trouble talking to my co-pilot aswell.

Yes, i understand commands have to be spoken correctly, although i also seem to have trouble talking to my co-pilot aswell.

Could you provide a screenshot of the <About> tab in MCE user interface?

If you can't, write down what you see on that screen.

Are you using a USB headset or a conventional one?

Thanks

Could you provide a screenshot of the <About> tab in MCE user interface?

If you can't, write down what you see on that screen.

Are you using a USB headset or a conventional one?

Thanks

Ok, it seems as though i can talk to my co-pilot if i speak very close to my microphone very loudly as I am using a desktop mic (blue snowball) and I did hear about desktop mics not being very good at speech recognition in the setup wizard although i still cannot seem to talk to ATC maybe because my mic doesnt pick up part of the command im saying, I may try using a different mic and see if that works.