Sign in to follow this  
Helix1250

Checklists and Flaps check.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has this happen to them. While running through checklists on various aircraft I get to the bit were I am confirming Flaps have been set, usually by saying "Set or confirmed", but my FO doesn't recognise my reply and keeps asking for confirmation. Well until he gets all narky and tells me what he/she was expecting to hear.

I have tried altering the check list responses for Flaps to see if that alters anything, which it doesn't. Currently I have to just skip to the next item to avoid this happening.

Has anyone else come across this?

Rob

I just wanted to see if anyone else has this happen to them. While running through checklists on various aircraft I get to the bit were I am confirming Flaps have been set, usually by saying "Set or confirmed", but my FO doesn't recognise my reply and keeps asking for confirmation. Well until he gets all narky and tells me what he/she was expecting to hear.

I have tried altering the check list responses for Flaps to see if that alters anything, which it doesn't. Currently I have to just skip to the next item to avoid this happening.

Has anyone else come across this?

Rob

This has changed recently for PMDG 737 only. It is now possible to state the flaps gate, like "five green light" and FO will actually check they are as you stated.

When you reply "Set", some rules apply.

On ground it is assumed should have flaps set at whatever you input in FMC for flaps.

When airborne, it depends on which flight phase you're in. On final should have 30 or 40 set or FO will argue.

With single engine configuration, when landing, your reply "Set" means 15, as you aren't allowed to go higher than that.

Now, as with every new implementation, we can expect a few teething issues, and obviously will fine tune things based on feedback.

Thank you for the info Gerald,

Let me run through what I'm doing, just so you have all the info.

I fly the Dash 8 pretty much all the time, now most takeoffs are with Flaps five. During preflight the FO runs through all the bits and bobs with no issues, I ask him to set Flaps five during the before start process. But when I get to run through a checklist my FO refuses to accept me saying "Set" when it comes to Flaps, likewise during cruse I set my GPWS Flaps to fifteen, once again this is the standard flap setting for most landing situations, unless your on a short runway then it's a Flaps thirty five landing. But even then the FO refuses to accept the "set" statement during the checklists.

Now I've looked at the FMS system and there isn't a flap section in there, so I don't think it's getting any input from that source.

Anyway that's what's happening to me, it also happened on another aircraft as well.

Rob

Huge thanks to the guys at MCE for sorted my issue out so quickly! I really appreciate you having a look into this, once again top knotch support :)

Cheers Rob