Sign in to follow this  
wizza52

running out of memory

Hi all.

I have the ifly 737NG on my fairly new computer (Basically, 3.2 ghz CPU...8gb memory..geforce GTX 960).

I have most of my scenery settings on medium, also no traffic at all. 

When I'm flying after about 5-10 minutes it freezes and gives me the message that my computer has run out of memory.

I would have thought 8gb was plenty to run this.

Has anybody any feedback on this please.

Thank you 

David.

Hi David.

It doesn't matter how much RAM you have installed in your PC. You are limited by the simulator you are running. FSX and P3d are 32 bit platforms and are limited to 4Gb or less. X Plane is 64 bit and can use as much RAM as you have installed.....but that's another story.

You don't say if you are on FSX or P3d? These both use the same engine (ESP) which is a 32 bit simulation. P3d is able to re distribute memory usage more efficiently than FSX. I used to suffer out of memory conditions in FSX. Once I moved to P3d the Oom's have stopped...In my personal experience!

A 32 bit simulator runs inside a maximum memory space of 4 Gb. This is called VAS (virtual address space). In reality its much less, usually 3.4 Gb. So if you exceed the VAS limit your computer will freeze and the Flight Simulation will stop working.

To go into all the ramifications of add ons and memory use would take hours, however the basic premise is that if you use complex aircraft (iFly, PMDG, Majestic) together with complex scenery add ons (Aerosoft Heathrow, Fly Tampa Montreal) you will see these add ons use large amounts of memory. Also, weather programs will use VAS, especially if you have high definition clouds. Its all a matter of balance.

You have said that you have the scenery sliders turned down, that's good.

The iFly 737, should run fine on any new system, FSX or P3d.

I would try flying a default aircraft, with the Windows task manager open on the memory page and explore what is being used.

If you are only running flight simulator and your 8 Gb memory in your PC is all working correctly, you should have 4 Gb free for the flight simulator to use. If there is a fault with the RAM or you are running programs as well as flight simulator, then you may have less than 4 Gb available for the flight sim. So again, run task manager and have a look see at what's using what!

Hope this helps a little.

Regards

David.