Sign in to follow this  
aatd

Computer Upgrade Advice? (FSX box)

This is just a quick update.  Thanks to the advice provided in this string, I have upgraded my pc to include a clean install of Win 7, a new GTX 1060 (3GB) and have had a new cooler installed and CPU overclocked to 4,5 GHz.  I do have the option to toggle it to 4,7 but the loading test found that this allowed the temp creep up to 80 degrees so my understanding is that I'm better off not pushing it.

I will get back to reinstalling FSX/Acceleration and Orbx Global, Vector and NA and report back on what comes of all of this.

Again, many thanks,

Brian

I would start without Vector and only add it if the performance warrants it.

Global and NA should be fine as a first test.

Bert

Thanks Bert,

I hadn't heard about that before.  I will take your advice, but am curious, is Vector not known to provide a material benefit?  Although I already had it, my earlier setup crashed before I got around to installing it,

Regards,

Brian

It adds roads and shoreline detail, but it also subtracts from performance, so one step at a time for testing..

Bert

DX10 Suggested?

Is there a potential benefit in enabling DX10 in my situation (Win 7; FSX / Acceleration;  ORBX Global, NA, and maybe Vector)?

If yes, a couple questions:

1. (Steve's DX10 Fixer):  I understand (??) that I would need to download and install this in order to realize.  If yes, can anyone direct me to the instructions to install?  I have thus far only installed a clean install of Win 7, FSX/Acceleration.

2. (Operation):  Once installed, does it then run automatically whenever I load FSX -- or is there a step(s) I need to do each time?

Thank you,

Brian

DX10 Suggested?

Is there a potential benefit in enabling DX10 in my situation (Win 7; FSX / Acceleration;  ORBX Global, NA, and maybe Vector)?

If yes, a couple questions:

1. (Steve's DX10 Fixer):  I understand (??) that I would need to download and install this in order to realize.  If yes, can anyone direct me to the instructions to install?  I have thus far only installed a clean install of Win 7, FSX/Acceleration.

2. (Operation):  Once installed, does it then run automatically whenever I load FSX -- or is there a step(s) I need to do each time?

Thank you,

Brian

Suggest you start with DX9.

Once you are comfortable with all the settings etc, you might consider DX10 which would indeed include buying the Fixer package.  Some users like DX10 better, but not everything works / looks the same.. and you may have to do some manual scenery fixing to get it just right.

Read the DX10 forum posts for more opinions.

Personally, I am staying with DX9.

Bert

Thank you Bert.  If it installs ok after everything else is loaded, I might as well wait to consider it,

Regards,

Brian