Sign in to follow this  
grodey

Help simulating ifr C182?

Hi,

I'm trying to set up FSX-SE with a Saitek ProFlight Yoke to fly instrument approaches in a 182.  In the real plane, it is easy to pitch/trim to airspeed and control descent with power to fly a stabilized approach.  Trying to apply the same mechanics to the sim, however, as in reducing power, pitching slightly nose-down and trimming to track a glideslope, leads to pitch oscillations and instantaneous changes in vertical speed/altitude that are very unrealistic. 

I've read a few threads that rave about FSUIPC fixing this kind of thing, but it's not clear to me how filtering/modifying the joystick input would fix what looks like a flight modeling problem or limitation of the sim?  Before I purchase it, I'd love to hear from anyone who has figured this all out-

Thanks for any input!

Hi,

As someone who regularly uses FSX/P3D to help keep up instrument skills, I can relate to this!  Simulating proper control feel and response is very challenging and also very subjective, and influenced greatly by your joystick hardware and also the airplane flight model.

My best advice here is to explore the different sensitivity settings, and you might want to try making things MORE sensitive vs. less sensitive as sometimes this works better.  I tend to use max sensitivity and as little null zone as possible.

I've never really been satisfied with control response in any simulator/airplane add-on however, although the A2A stuff comes really close IMO.  If you can keep +/- 200ft altitude (especially with turbulence) you're doing great in the sim and this should translate to +/- 50 in real life where it is much easier to control.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I've never really been satisfied with control response in any simulator/airplane add-on however, although the A2A stuff comes really close IMO. If you can keep +/- 200ft altitude (especially with turbulence) you're doing great in the sim and this should translate to +/- 50 in real life where it is much easier to control.

Closest I've come to the feel of a 182 with A2A is to put a passenger in the back seat.  It's a beautiful plane for IFR ops though.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thank you for your replies!  Didn't occur to me to try loading the plane differently- I'll give it a shot, as well as continuing to fiddle with the sensitivities. I only had the old Carenado 182 available, so I will try the A2A to see if it feels any better.

On another note, has anyone tried the newer Elite simulator for approaches?  I assume it flies more realistically and if I don't have to purchase any more hardware it could be an option- I don't see that they let you download it for a free trial, however.