Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Nvidia 1080 FTW Hybrid SLI in VR + flyinsidefsx - performs same as single card?

Did you try an affinity mask in the cfg. When i leave the AM i encounter stuttering when looking around using EZCA. Applying an AM no stutters anymore.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Did you try an affinity mask in the cfg. When i leave the AM i encounter stuttering when looking around using EZCA. Applying an AM no stutters anymore.

Yeah, i had tried both with and without.. seems to be a "new" issue..

To further test this..

I used a clean version of 3.4.9 and the roaming and programdata folders.. reinstalled flyinside.. 

Same issue.. still there.. super frustrated.. it either started happening a few weeks ago, or was there all along.. Only thing i havent tried was going back a driver version for nvidia.. though with aerofly fs2, i see no stuttering.. seems to be strictly a flyinside thing.. i also tested native p3d vr.. i'm not really seeing it, or not as much anyway.

Again, this is stuttering when you look out the left of the plane, stare at the ground.. the ground micro stutters every 2 seconds.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I received the SLI HB Evga adapter today.. short story is, no change, didnt help with head turning/panning stuttering.. neither does frame rate lock at any level.

Also.. when you use SLI + 4SGSS + rain (at least rain / clouds), the sim frame rate stays the same, but the ATW drops to 30-40!  yikes.

So as of this writing it appears the 1080 SLI idea is a no go.. will just have to live with no SGSS and semi low frame rate in some areas with 3 layers of clouds + rain (18-25 fps worst case).

Tests:

**Near KORS with FTX PNW (again with GEX, UTX, REX, UT2).. with 3 layers of clouds + rain.. in bonanza 36..

NON SLI:  Lock frames at 48 with ut2 active:  30ish / 85-93  but then suddenly as flying it becomes 17/85-93 within one minute passing over water (unsure why, its NOT ut2 related)

SLI:       Lock frames at 48 with ut2 active:  29/95 (higher ATW) then becomes 21/94  (pan stuttering)

NON SLI: lock frames at 48 (no ut2):   31-34 then 24-30  (ut2 costs about 3 fps at 70/30 mixture)

NON SLI: unlim  (no ut2)  :   38/ 77 then becomes 26/77 after 2 min

SLI: lock frames at 48 (with ut2) and WITH 4SGSS:   30/35  (big hit on ATW)

**chicago runway test with us cities active from before with rain PMDG 800:

NON SLI Unlimited with ut2:   23/80ish   (no ut2 about 27/85)

SLI:  UNLIM with ut2:      24/92  (great ATW but the head pan stutter)

NON SLI:  lock 48 with ut2:   17/80-90  (no ut2 about 20/80)

**chicago runway test with Us cities turned off with rain/clouds PMDG 800

NON SLI:  Unlimited, no ut2:   36/70 (gain about 9 fps by unchecking aersoft us cities x, possible mod of bgl possible too)

NON SLI:  Locked 48, no ut2  28/70 

**NYCX fair weather test with p92:

NON SLI:  lock 48, NO ut2:   45/92  

NON SLI: lock 48, with ut2:   37/92

*NYCX with rain in p92:

NON SLI: lock 48, NO ut2:  35/92

NON SLI: lock 48 with ut2:  46/92 

**didnt do sli test here, either way, minimal hit with rain/clouds here

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

So as of this writing it appears the 1080 SLI idea is a no go

Thanks for trying and reporting back. It is a bit hard to understand why. There should be significant performance gains. Oh well I guess it saves people money then.

As i follow a lot of threads concerning VR and the Rift i would like to know how your performs in a standard HD momitor mode is. In my case im using an BenQ FullHD Beamer. My PC is an i7 5820k @4.5 GHz 16GB 3000MHz RAM Asus GTX 1080 Strix Advanced all on an Asus Rampage V xtreme mobo. I run scenery, veggie and buildings @ dence shadows allenabled despite veggie cast @ high. UT2 @40% just airline traffic. Loads of HQ add ons FTX Global Vector full fat regions PMDG etc. My FPS is and remains to about 98% @ smooth 30FPS. Lowest FPS i saw was at ORBX 74S running @24FPS.

NI is set to 4SGSS. Before the 1080 i ran 980SLI. Smoothness wasnt as as good as with the 1080. but all in all great performance. Oh btw did you change the SLI profile to the Killing Floor 2?

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

Thanks for trying and reporting back. It is a bit hard to understand why. There should be significant performance gains. Oh well I guess it saves people money then.

I think even though SLI is supported in Flyinside.. its just not implemented by P3D in a way that makes it that useful.  It seems as if Nvidia is moving away from SLI in general too.. i highly doubt future versions of P3D will make better use of it, which is why this card is going back (not to mention it actually has a bearing defect in the fan i found out, making a clicking sound like a wire hitting the fan).

So the only gain was SLI + 4SGSS with no hit on ATW, but the pan stuttering, oh my.. its like your eyeballs are twitching.. i'm surprised no one else thats tried 1080's in SLI has commented on this.. i even did a clean install of the OS/P3d to rule out that and used both an old version 368.xx and newer 37x.xx of the nvidia drivers, no joy.

As i follow a lot of threads concerning VR and the Rift i would like to know how your performs in a standard HD momitor mode is. In my case im using an BenQ FullHD Beamer. My PC is an i7 5820k @4.5 GHz 16GB 3000MHz RAM Asus GTX 1080 Strix Advanced all on an Asus Rampage V xtreme mobo. I run scenery, veggie and buildings @ dence shadows allenabled despite veggie cast @ high. UT2 @40% just airline traffic. Loads of HQ add ons FTX Global Vector full fat regions PMDG etc. My FPS is and remains to about 98% @ smooth 30FPS. Lowest FPS i saw was at ORBX 74S running @24FPS.

NI is set to 4SGSS. Before the 1080 i ran 980SLI. Smoothness wasnt as as good as with the 1080. but all in all great performance. Oh btw did you change the SLI profile to the Killing Floor 2?

I had tested this initially with SLI in 2D.. i run 5760 res in 2D... what do you run.. if you click the settings in my signature you'll see what i use in the sim.. basically the top four check boxes in shadows are checked along with buildings receive (only receive).. lose about 2-3 fps more if i turn on buildings project and simbojects and vegetation etc.. loose about 1-2 fps with my max cloud coverage (which i leave on for ASN).. do you run fsglobal + gex + utx or similar as well? (edit i see you have ftxg.. i'm actually going to switch back to ftxg soon, so i can get FTX USA openLC which looks amazing compared to GEX/UTX combo, ill run with LC + UTX though)..  

with mine, as i reported,  kors was about the typical level of hit at around 26 fps locked at 48 with rain in the goggles.. worst case for 2D for me was the chicago test, unlimited frames 23 fps both in and out of the goggles.

When i tested SLI, there was NO change in the fps rate.. but, i found you could turn on more settings with less of a hit, including 4sgss.. but 4sgss in sli chops the atw too much and induces stuttering.

I already packed up the card, but tomorrow ill put it back in and test the profile for sli you mentioned.. i kinda doubt it will cure the pan stutter thing, but worth a final try i guess.

Do you have a rift or vive as well at this point?

Side generic note.. you can gain, i forget, maybe 3 fps if you turn off lights when running in the daytime.. i forgot about this, though a pain short of simstarter maybe, to toggle on and off.

Back with the last results for SLI.. (all on driver 368.81, which may or may not be slightly less shimmery than driver 375.76 HF1:  edit, maybe not, may have been placebo)

Short story again:

Tried killing floor 2.. no change in the stutter with head pan with SLI.. 

I also compared xplane 10 with extreme mode + 3 cloud layers + rain all defaults, sli and non sli (non sli was 2 fps better).

I found that 2SGSS works ok and reduces shimmer for single card.

So i think for now, this closes the books on SLI attempts.  Back to flying :)

Xplane (single 1080 screen not 5760 like my p3d 2D non sli below):

24 fps SLI 2D

28 fps NON SLI 2D

(Google/flyinsidefsx res is at 3840 2374 with monitor at 15 fps, fov overdraw at 103 for these tests, though typically i set to 110)

P3D NYCX fair weather tests and ut2 active

37/93 frames at 48 lock not with SLI (Rift)

48/93 frames unlim  not with SLI **no stutter looking at ground with this since i set biois to GENX3 instead of auto** (coincidence? same frame rate though) (rift)

40/40 frames unlim not with SLI WITH 4SGSS   (rift)

36/93 not SLI but with 8 MSSA in app  (rift)

46/45  frames unlim with SLI and 4SGSS (rift)

36 not sli and unlimited frames but with 8 MSSA in app at 5760 res 2D

46 not sli and unlim frames but with 4SGSS at 5760 2D

48 not sli and unlim frames at 5760 2D

Hi,

sorry for the late reply. To answer the question concerning the rift, no i do not have it atm. Im planning to get one for xmas. Too bad that "Killing Floor 2" didnt help.

Oh last idea, did you delete the camera.cfg and let P3d build a new one?

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

Hi,

sorry for the late reply. To answer the question concerning the rift, no i do not have it atm. Im planning to get one for xmas. Too bad that "Killing Floor 2" didnt help.

Oh last idea, did you delete the camera.cfg and let P3d build a new one?

Ah no worries. Yeah I did do that.