Sign in to follow this  
jimh

Fresh start with MCE using an Oculus Rift?

Hi,

I used MCE extensively earlier this year before I received my Rift.  I now use the Rift exclusively for P3D.

I'm ready to install MCE for the first time in a new computer, and know that calibrating the mic is an important first step.

Has anyone successfully calibrated the mic built into the Rift, blind as one is while wearing it?  I'd like to make the best start possible with MCE.  I can easily calibrate the mic and do the training with my Corsair headphones as before, but I'm afraid the results would not be good when I transfer to the Rift to fly.  I had to be diligent with training before, probably because of my pronounced Scots accent.

Can I ask if V 2.6.6.4 is the latest version?

Regards, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Hi,

I used MCE extensively earlier this year before I received my Rift.  I now use the Rift exclusively for P3D.

I'm ready to install MCE for the first time in a new computer, and know that calibrating the mic is an important first step.

Has anyone successfully calibrated the mic built into the Rift, blind as one is while wearing it?  I'd like to make the best start possible with MCE.  I can easily calibrate the mic and do the training with my Corsair headphones as before, but I'm afraid the results would not be good when I transfer to the Rift to fly.  I had to be diligent with training before, probably because of my pronounced Scots accent.

Can I ask if V 2.6.6.4 is the latest version?

Regards, Jim

V2.6.8 is the latest

Download here: http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

A speech profile is a collection of 3 variants

1 - A user voice

2 - A specific headset

3 - Specific ambient noise conditions (the room where your PC is located)

Change any of the above and the speech profile becomes irrelevant.

You'd need to create a new one for the rift, make it active and train it from scratch.

You don't have to delete the previous profile, in case you need to revert to the old headset later.

Use the "assign sound device" tool to direct audio to the rift.

Click Start->All Apps->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Assign sound device.

Don't forget to share your experience with the rift  :smile:

Thanks very much for the prompt reply.

I've downloaded and installed v 2.6.8

On first start the wizard tells me English US speech engine required isn't installed yet.  The US language pack is installed.  I've now tried removing English UK (where I actually live), leaving only English US but to no avail.

I'm stuck at this initial stage for now.

>>A speech profile is a collection of 3 variants

1 - A user voice

2 - A specific headset

3 - Specific ambient noise conditions (the room where your PC is located)

Change any of the above and the speech profile becomes irrelevant.

You'd need to create a new one for the rift, make it active and train it from scratch.<<

OK, I've got my own voice, ambient noise under control, and am wearing my Rift.  I've got the Rift's built in headphones on my ears, the built in mic is invisible but somewhere under my nose.  I'm ready to commence voice training, but can't see a thing!

Sorry about the above explanation, but that is my difficulty in training with the Rift.  Wearing my Corsair 'phones I can see what I have to repeat, so must I train with the Corsairs and hope the result wil be good when I wear the Rift ?

Of course I've got to get past the initial problem first!

Regards, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply.

I've downloaded and installed v 2.6.8
On first start the wizard tells me English US speech engine required isn't installed yet.  The US language pack is installed.  I've now tried removing English UK (where I actually live), leaving only English US but to no avail.
I'm stuck at this initial stage for now.

There's no need to remove English UK.

You probably only installed the keyboard part of US English language. Once installed make it the default language.

Here is a video showing how to add any language pack correctly

Thanks again, Gerald!

I've managed to install the language pack now, and by holding my Rift backwards and upside down, I've also managed to carry out voice training twice over with the built in mic.

MCE has connected to P3D, but my copilot needs registration to help.  I've copied my original license.key to MCE root folder without success, and have now used licenser.exe followed by emailing off my new registration.txt.

Hopefully, a new license.key will arrive and get me started properly,

I'll report in due course.

Regards, Jim

Hi Gerald,

I'm very impressed with a super quick response to my request for a key.  MCE is fully working now.  I just need to recap on commands etc., and find out how effective my training has been, considering my Scots accent.

Cheers, Jim

Hi Gerald,

I'm very impressed with a super quick response to my request for a key.  MCE is fully working now.  I just need to recap on commands etc., and find out how effective my training has been, considering my Scots accent.

Cheers, Jim

Thanks for feedback.

Keep in mind, you don't have to remember all those thousands of commands.

We've built the system to be extremely flexible. And if that isn't enough and you find yourself speaking something that the FO or other crew members don't seem to respond to, You can teach them your own lingo...

Go to "Command" tab in MCE user interface.

Click <Voxscript>  button.

In next screen, click <New> button and type the sentence you'd like to speak in order to get any crew member to act on it.

Your new voice command will be listed. Select it and click <Edit>

In next screen, tick the option "Verbose" so you get aural feedback about what the crew member is doing.

Then click <Edit script commands>

In "Script commands" window, click <Add Command> button.

Look-up the documentation once, to find out what various commands the crew member is trained to respond to, in order to achieve the same thing.

Don't forget to save.

From then on, speaking your custom command, would act like an alias for existing command and will achieve the same result.

It's the closest you can get to real natural speech.

And combined with VoxKey (another tool which allows you to crate commands that would send key combinations to the sim, you should be able to get around the sim without needing to peep at the keyboard. Only occasionally.

Thanks very much, Gerald.

I've followed your instructions and created a custom command successfully.  :smile:

I'll save these instructions for future use now.

There's obviously a great deal to find out about the depths of MCE!

Best Regards, Jim