Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Disabling photo scenery in favor of FTX Global

As the topic suggests I'm thinking of disabling any photo scenery that came with some of my payware airports.

The reason I want to do this is I personally think much of the photo scenery looks like crap when you get closer to it compared to FTX Global which most of the times indeed does look like a photo although not 100% accurate compared to real photo scenery. This however doesn't really matter to me since I prefer having something that looks real when I'm looking out of the cockpit window on approach rather than having something that looks like crap but is 100% accurate.

So now my question is does anyone know if there are any important things to be aware of? My plan is to simply rename all bgl's I suspect are photo scenery for each of my products to .off but maybe there's more to it to get the best possible result?

I guess it might be different for different products and I also know the quality of the photo scenery can be quite different between different products so in some cases maybe it's advisable to keep the photo scenery. Guess I'll have to check each product separately.

Another thing I've been thinking of is if landmarks etc normally are built-in into the photo scenery meaning I'll loose those too when disabling the photo scenery or if they are normally separate objects? My guess would be they are normally separate since photo scenery is much like a "paint" where landmarks of different kinds are normally 3D objects or am I wrong?

The products where I've discovered bgl's (some of them huge) I suspect are photo scenery (some of the files revealed by their names) are:

Aerosoft EGLL

Aerosoft LEPA

Aerosoft EDDF

Aerosoft LEMG

Digital Design LOWS

Digital Design ULLI

Taxi2Gate EDDM

FlyTampa EKCH

FlyTampa LGKR

FlyTampa LOWW

FlyTampa LGAV

FSDG LGTS

Thanks in advance for any input!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As the topic suggests I'm thinking of disabling any photo scenery that came with some of my payware airports.

The reason I want to do this is I personally think much of the photo scenery looks like crap when you get closer to it compared to FTX Global which most of the times indeed does look like a photo although not 100% accurate compared to real photo scenery. This however doesn't really matter to me since I prefer having something that looks real when I'm looking out of the cockpit window on approach rather than having something that looks like crap but is 100% accurate.

So now my question is does anyone know if there are any important things to be aware of? My plan is to simply rename all bgl's I suspect are photo scenery for each of my products to .off but maybe there's more to it to get the best possible result?

I guess it might be different for different products and I also know the quality of the photo scenery can be quite different between different products so in some cases maybe it's advisable to keep the photo scenery. Guess I'll have to check each product separately.

Another thing I've been thinking of is if landmarks etc normally are built-in into the photo scenery meaning I'll loose those too when disabling the photo scenery or if they are normally separate objects? My guess would be they are normally separate since photo scenery is much like a "paint" where landmarks of different kinds are normally 3D objects or am I wrong?

The products where I've discovered bgl's (some of them huge) I suspect are photo scenery (some of the files revealed by their names) are:

Aerosoft EGLL

Aerosoft LEPA

Aerosoft EDDF

Aerosoft LEMG

Digital Design LOWS

Digital Design ULLI

Taxi2Gate EDDM

FlyTampa EKCH

FlyTampa LGKR

FlyTampa LOWW

FlyTampa LGAV

FSDG LGTS

Thanks in advance for any input!

FlyTampa suggested directly you could disable their photoreal bgl in LGAV by renaming the file extension, but who knows what other developers stuffed in their bgls, so you can't be sure you won't break something up in their sceneries.

Dirk.

Yep, I realize that and in the end I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a try airport by airport.

Time-consuming but might be worth it in the end.