Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Couple of Specific HW Questions

As the regulars here know, I’ve been a little absent from the whole PC and FS world until recently, so I’m looking for some up to date hardware advice, and have some specific questions…

I appreciate there are numerous threads here on upgrading, but I'm after some specific advice please...

It ‘appears’ that Intel are probably close to releasing a new CPU range.  Does anyone know yet just HOW near this is and, if that’s so, are Skylake CPUs likely to fall in price?

I’m quite sure there are other great boards, but I do want to stick with Asus.  I’ve been looking at two boards; the Z170-A and the Z170 Deluxe (I will be overclocking).  Much as I’d love the Deluxe, there’s a huge price difference between the two:(  One thing that seriously concerns me about the A model, is the distinct shortage of USB outlets. Especially old 2.0 ports, even though they included a PS2 port!  I have a shed load of Saitek controllers and panels, most of which often get cranky when used in USB3 ports.  Any views and experience there appreciated.  What are others doing…?  USB hubs perhaps?  I don’t like hubs, but am guessing that’s the route to go?

My other concern with the A model, are the smaller heat sinks. Asus say not, but surely this make a difference when overclocking?

I’m nearly always at least a couple of generations behind with kit, so I’m not concerned about waiting for the next CPU range, UNLESS of course, it’ll affect the price of earlier kit;-)

Any and all info welcome;-)

It ‘appears’ that Intel are probably close to releasing a new CPU range.  Does anyone know yet just HOW near this is and, if that’s so, are Skylake CPUs likely to fall in price?

Hello, it's me again...  :Tounge:

Kaby Lake 7700K should be January or thereabouts. 6700K should drop a bit in price I suppose, who knows.

7700K Turbo's to 4.5 as opposed to 6700K's 4.2. IPC is a tad better. Total stock increase in performance should be about 10%. I'm speculating t will overclock to about 4.9, perhaps higher. New chip-sets will follow. Z270 I believe.

I have the Z170 Deluxe.

The Z170-A does have a somewhat smaller heat sink on the VRM's but not an issue. It still overclock's well. The Deluxe heat sinks are over kill anyway to be honest. Both the Deluxe and -A, overclocked still run within the motherboards thermal specs.

4.6 - 4.8 expect from 6700K and the -A has you covered. The only thing I will say about the -A is that it comes with one of those cheap, flimsy IO shields. Bit of a pain to install they are. The Deluxe has a nice padded version. No WiFi on the -A.

Yep, a powered USB hub should do the trick, or what about a PCI expansion card?

Hello, it's me again...  :Tounge:

Kaby Lake 7700K should be January or thereabouts. 6700K should drop a bit in price I suppose, who knows.

7700K Turbo's to 4.5 as opposed to 6700K's 4.2. IPC is a tad better. Total stock increase in performance should be about 10%. I'm speculating t will overclock to about 4.9, perhaps higher. New chip-sets will follow. Z270 I believe.

I have the Z170 Deluxe.

The Z170-A does have a somewhat smaller heat sink on the VRM's but not an issue. It still overclock's well. The Deluxe heat sinks are over kill anyway to be honest. Both the Deluxe and -A, overclocked still run within the motherboards thermal specs.

4.6 - 4.8 expect from 6700K and the -A has you covered. The only thing I will say about the -A is that it comes with one of those cheap, flimsy IO shields. Bit of a pain to install they are. The Deluxe has a nice padded version. No WiFi on the -A.

Yep, a powered USB hub should do the trick, or what about a PCI expansion card?

Thanks Martin.

I never use wifi on my main PC. I run a cable network as well as wifi for the laptops and phones. The extra £100 could go towards either a better CPU or video card

Yep, me too. Ran Cat5 to 3 rooms.

Phones, SkyQ and laptop on WiFi. BT Infinity.

Same BT Infinity. Only got it this year as we live in the middle of b** f*** nowhere;-)