Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Another hardware question: Redbird Flight Simulator Alloy Yoke

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried the Redbird Alloy Yoke for XP,  and in particular on a Mac?

Thanks-  Bruce.

I'd like to hear any reviews too.  Looks like it allows mounting under a desk which would put it at a more realistic height.  I've got my eye on the twin throttle quadrant they make as well.

Here are couple links to the products:

https://retail.redbirdflight.com/products/alloy-yk1-yoke

https://retail.redbirdflight.com/products/alloy-th2-twin-engine-throttle

Brian W

KPAE

I'd like to hear any reviews too. Looks like it allows mounting under a desk which would put it at a more realistic height.

The Redbird controls sure look sexy. Just wanted to reply that I have the Saitek yoke and it can also be mounted under a desk. Granted I used a little DIY to do it. I went to Home Depot (hardware store) and picked up some metal strapping. Basically it's about 2" (5 cm) wide, maybe 1/16" (2 mm) thick and cut to length to wrap around the body of the base. I used two straps (one front and one back) to hold the controls to the underside of the desk. I installed four blind nuts to the underside of the desk and hold the straps down with bolts into the blind nuts. This way I can just remove the four bolts and the whole thing pops off. When it's bolted down, it's rock solid and at a perfect position. 

The controls I have came with desk mount clamps (and I see the Redbird ones do to) but it wasn't very clean in my opinion, thus my DIY hack.

Anyway, this was more to talk about the mounting option rather than which controls to use :) I actually had to hack my Saitek yoke (with the guts of another joystick) to get rid of built in null zones so I don't necessarily recommend the stock Saitek yoke. Sorry for derailing the thread :)

Thanks Brian and --v--. I contacted the guy who owns Redbird (Todd) today and it sounds like it will work. The interface is USB, and he indicated that as long as XP is recognizing other USB hardware controls, it should recognize the yoke. There is no .dll or interface software, so Mac should be OK too.

I'm doing some research for "Santa", and if (she) thinks I've been "good" then I might be able to try it later this month and report back here.

Thanks, Bruce.